29

here i was, stuck in my guest room at kevin's place. i barely left it, only making a few occasional trips to the kitchen.

kevin had been ignoring me since the split last night, not even saying one word to me. i had tried countless times to apologize, having hope the he'd forgive me.

i got up from the bed, grabbing all of my clothes that were scattered across the floor. i threw them into my open suitcase, not caring if it looked neat or not. after that i slipped on a grey sweatshirt and sweatpants, then putting on my black converse.

i grabbed my phone and charger from the bedside table, taking my suitcase with me. walking out of the bedroom, i saw kevin sitting down at the kitchen counter, his head in his hands.

i stood there, staring at him. he hadn't looked up, meaning that he wasn't aware of my presence, or he was just simply ignoring me.

"goodbye, kevin." i whispered.

his head shot up quickly, his eyes bloodshot red and his lips formed into a thin line.

"where are you going?" he asked, worriedly.

"why do you give a damn about me all of a sudden?" i asked, getting angry. "i'm going home."

"what?"

"did i stutter?" i yelled. "i'm going back home." i lowered my voice, tightening my grip on my suitcase handle.

before he could say another word, i walked out of kevin's apartment, knowing that i'd never see him again.

~

"keep the change." i thanked the taxi driver as i handed him a ten. i went out to the car trunk, grabbing my suitcase and slamming it shut.

i walked into the busy airport as i scanned the wide area for a place to sit. once i was settled, i pulled out my phone, finding that i had an unread message from jack.

jackgilinsky
i just realized i never gave you my number..
here it is:
555-555-5555 (a/n: idk JUST PRETEND ITS AN ACTUAL NUMBER)

i nodded at the text, then saving the number my phone. i dialled his number, my palms getting sweating as the phone rang continuously.

after a few more rings, jack picked up.

"hello?" he answered in a raspy tone.

"hey, jack." i said quietly.

"claudia? i didn't even recognize the number," he chuckled. "what's up?"

"i'm leaving." i said, already imagining what he would say.

there was a moment of silence, until i he responded.

"what do you mean you're leaving?"

"i-i'm going back," i stuttered. "to montréal."

"what, why?" he exclaimed. "is this because of kevin?"

"yeah," i said nervously. "there's no point in me staying here any longer."

"you could've stayed with me, claudia." jack's voice croaked, giving me the hint that he was crying.

i chuckled quietly. "jack, are you..crying?"

" if it wasn't for me you wouldn't be leaving." he said, ignoring my question.

"flight 404 nonstop to montréal is now boarding." a feminine voice said on the intercom.

"jack, i've gotta go," i sighed. "i'll talk to you later."

"clau-" i hung up on him before he could finish his sentence, running over to the jetway.

~

once i was settled into my seat, i laid back, looking at the plane ceiling as i fiddled with my fingers. the whole situation kept replaying in my head, causing tears to well up in my eyes. i felt so guilty about everything that was going on, and it felt as if nothing would help that feeling go away.

i pulled my hood over my head, closing my eyes.

oh, how simple everything would be if it weren't for instagram.

*