Chapter 10

Alright, seven more parts of this and then it will all be up. Also, sorry for my lateness, but I totally forgot about the rest of this...oops...

Something was wrong with Vic. Kellin didn't know what, but it was worrying him. His daddy wouldn't get out bed. He stayed in their room with the lights off and his head buried under the blankets and the little didn't what to do. He wanted to make his daddy feel better but, he didn't want to bug him either. So, instead, he stayed in the nursery and colored a picture for his daddy. He didn't want him to hurt like he was. The past few days, his daddy had slowly been getting sadder and sadder. Two weeks before, they had, had sex for the first time and everything was wonderful.

Vic was so attentive—more so than he already was—but then, it all changed. Something happened, Kellin's papa was sad and it had him worried. The little bit his lip and finished up the picture, writing I love you, Daddy across the top of the picture. He put up his crayons, remembering Daddy's rules to keep his nursery clean.

Kellin put everything where it was supposed to go and left his nursery. He went to his daddy's room and peeked his head inside. The caregiver still laid in bed, blankets wrapped around him tight.

"Daddy, you've gotta eat," Kellin whispered, feeling hypocritical for even saying it. Especially when he hadn't eaten in two days. He stopped eating the minute his daddy got depressed. He was too worried about his daddy to care about it, he didn't even take his meds. It wasn't just because he was defiant. He just forgot, without his daddy to remind him in the mornings, it slipped his mind. "Vic, come on. You're starting to worry me," he whispered, slipping out of little mode.

"I'm fine, Kells," Vic whispered. He wasn't, though. It was the anniversary of his family's death and he couldn't seem to not think about it. A whole two years had passed now (I forgot if it was one year or two—oops) and he was still without his family.

Vic just, even after two years, he couldn't understand how his wife could have done what she did. How could a mother do that to her child? Then to herself? It wasn't right.

"I'm going to make you something to eat," Kellin finally said. He stared at the man before him for a moment, Vic looked so... so broken. And the boy felt as though there was nothing he could do to fix it. But, he'd try. Kellin walked over to his caregiver and pushed the blankets off of his head. He bent down and pressed a kiss to his daddy's forehead.

"I love you," he whispered, running his fingers through his daddy's hair. "And it's going to be okay, all of it will be okay."

Vic couldn't help but to smile as Kellin kissed his forehead once more and stood up. "I love you too, Baby Doll."

The little smiled and left the room quickly, he headed straight to the kitchen and started a cute little meal for his daddy. He got bread and everything needed for a yummy sandwich. Kellin cut the sandwich—a turkey on rye with swiss cheese—into cute little triangles. The little grabbed the baby carrots from the fridge and put a couple on the princess plate next to the sandwich. After that, he poured apple juice into one of his sippy cups. Maybe if he shared with his daddy, it'd make him feel better.

Kellin poured a small dab of ranch dressing on the plate next to the carrot sticks and took the plate to his daddy's room. The little knocked on the door softly before he let himself in. "Sit up, Daddy."

Vic peeked over the blankets and smiled. While he didn't particularly want to get out of bed, he knew that he was starting to worry Kellin. With that, Vic sat up and wrapped the blankets around him.

"I got you a sandwich and carrots and a sippy cup of apple juice," Kellin said. He handed the plate to his daddy along with the sippy cup before crawling onto the bed. "I colored you a picture too but I left it in my playroom. I'll give it to you later," he informed the older man before sticking his paci in his mouth. Vic chuckled and took the little toy out of Kellin's mouth.

"Have you eaten?" He questioned. Kellin screwed up his nose and nodded his head.

"Yeah," he lied. "I had some carrots for a snake just a minute ago."

Vic gave him a look and arched his brow. He handed the boy a carrot stick. "Eat another. If I have to eat then so do you."

Kellin sighed and opened his mouth as Vic fed it to him. "Fine. Now eat, Daddy."

His caregiver sighed. "It's the anniversary of their deaths today."

Kellin frowned. "Who's? Your uh, your family's?"

Vic nodded his head. "Yeah. I know you're curious. My wife, she uh, she suffered from some mental illnesses... and she went off of her meds one day. I was out of town working a case with my brother when it happened but, when I got the call the police officer—"

"You don't have to tell me," Kellin said in a hushed voice.

"You have a right to know. The police officer told me that she packed our-our five year old daughter up in the car and drove off of the Jersey bridge that Friday night. She left me a note. Said sometimes, parents have to kill their kids to keep them safe. She was always terrified that something was going to happen to Rosie. I shouldn't have left them alone. I never left them alone," Vic sobbed.

"It's not your fault Vic," Kellin said, placing his hand on Vic's thigh. "What she did, it's not your fault. You didn't know she was off her meds, did you?"

Vic shook his head. "No I didn't. But, I knew what she was like. I should have called her parents to help her watch Rosie or something. But, I was so consumed with the stupid case I didn't even think about it. And now they're both gone. My baby girl's gone, Kells. And it's all my fault."

Kellin sighed and took the sandwich away from Vic. He set it down on the bedside table and pulled Vic to him. "It wasn't your fault Vic, you have to remember that. You couldn't have stopped it but, it'll be okay." Kellin really didn't know what to say. What did one say to their boyfriend who was crying about their dead family?

All he could do was just be there for his daddy. So, when Vic laid his head on Kellin's chest, Kellin kissed the top of his head and let the caregiver cry. Even daddies needed to be taken care of every once in awhile.