Chapter 26

Greenwood T.H 2058

         It took a few days before I could return to my guard duties, but it took Voronwë more than a week

         It took a few days before I could return to my guard duties, but it took Voronwë more than a week. He was still weak and a bit groggy the first day, but it vanished quickly. I was just glad that he was once again able to perform his duties. I had also heeded Thranduil's words and had not sought any trouble, let alone acted rashly because I feared he would make true his treat. Though that was not what was primarily on my mind, it was more what had happened between us. The glimpses I saw of the man I had once loved, had strengthened the thin threads still clinging to a hope that he would change.

I exhaled deeply and shook the thoughts from my mind. I had not spoken with Thranduil since, and it had already been two weeks since then. I shivered lightly in the cool autumn air before turning towards Aronhir and Nendir behind me on the platform. It was one of the rare days were both Charanthir and Voronwë were off. Since the accident, they had stopped fighting, almost returned to how they were when I first got to know them, the only thing that had changed was that it was becoming more frequent that they disappeared.

It wasn't the same with Aronhir and Nendir. It made me miss Adlanna. I had been by to visit her and her child. A boy. He wasn't more than a few years old and still needed constant attention. He had been a miniature version of her, and I couldn't put into words how happy I were for her despite the knot that had formed in my stomach, seeing her have something I would most likely never be able to have on my own was hard. But I had swallowed my jealousy and enjoyed the time I spent with them that afternoon.

Even though Legolas had begun to fill the emptiness in my heart, I knew he would never be mine. The thought brought tears to my eyes, and I were forced to bite into my lip, creating pain that would seize these endless tears. I hated the fact that I never seemed to be unable to stop crying over the smallest thing. It also made me miss Charanthir and his constant mischievous behavior. I could still see that the thought of his brother weighed him heavily but after he had stopped overlooking Voronwë and their fighting had stopped, he had almost returned to how he was when I first got to know him.

At first light, a few from Alagos company came to relive us. I stretched my arms over my head before following Aronhir and Nendir back towards the kingdom. Though halfway there I regretted and took my leave of them. I knew I should not be exploring the forest on my own, but I needed some time to think things over while also just be in my own company. I took the long way around, intending for my exploring to end at Rüdhon's favorite place.

The forest were unusually quiet today and I spent more than a few hours just exploring, but not once did I go near the southern border because I feared getting too close to there again. I even spent some time by the northern border just starring towards the city of Esgaroth. It wasn't much I could distinguish but it brought me peace sitting here at the end of the stream that met the lake. The sound of running water and the breeze rustling the leaves, provided a moment of peace that I needed.