19. Twisting by the Pool

"Hold on, we still need..." I scanned through the crumpled list of things to buy. "Right. I still have to get the shells and tomato salsa, you stay in line okay?"

Saul clicked his tongue in slight annoyance. "Just great. It'll be snowing in August before we get to the cashier," he muttered.

"Hush it," I hissed and went to grab what I needed from the aisle. I only prayed that the old lady in front of our cart didn't hear what he said. "You're welcome to wait in the car. I already warned you that grocery shopping with me wouldn't be a best idea." I told him as I took his place in the line.

"Fine by me," he groaned and gave me his card before walking out of the store.

Preparing the food was a hell lot easier. My assistant wasn't being too impatient and stubborn otherwise there wouldn't be a decent plate of snacks and goodies for the guests to feast on when they get tired and hungry from dipping themselves in the swimming pool.

Saul wanted to have a party in his den; not the type of party that would blow up the house-- he only invited close friends and bandmates for an intimate and cozy get-together. The smokes and booze were present of course and the host himself along with his tall drinking buddy had already consumed plenty.

"Tacos overload and hotdog sandwiches?" I sat the tray of food between them.

"This is amazing, Em." Duff said as he took a big bite of the taco salad.

"Can you get more beer from the icebox?" Saul requested.

"Can't you get them yourself?"

"Pleassee?"

I could see the wide smile through his hair. Okay! I went to get a couple more cans for Saul and also asked Matt and his wife Annette if they needed anything. They just smiled and insisted they were fine. Yeah, it feels so good to be the maid on duty.

"Your beer, boss," I tossed Saul the cans, the freezing cold surface touched his skin which caused him to flinch.

"Fuck! Watch it you!" He snarled.

I just shrugged his attitude off and went to collect the plates used by Axl and his new girlfriend who were busily making out on the edge of the pool. Making my way to the backdoor that led to the kitchen, I put the dishes down the sink and turned the tap on.

"You're not telling me something, are you?" Mandy walked in with hands on her hips. "What's up with you and Curly-head?"

I hunched my shoulders, uttering, "It's complicated" and Mandy gave me that "tell me about it" look. So I stopped what I was doing and narrated the whole story in which she attentively and intriguingly listened to.

"Oh my God!" she partly whispered, partly yelled. "What else happened? Did you talk about it the morning after? Are you two exclusively dating now?!"

"No!" I faintly giggled. "We never talk about it. I get it, he's confused. I am too."

"Oh Emilia, I'm very sorry..."

"You saw today how he talks to me and how he bosses me around."

It was my fault mostly, I should never let him treat me like that.

Mandy and I went back outside to find all of them in the water. Izzy was teaming up with Matt, playing water volleyball with their partners as the opponent. Axl was still doing the same thing with his girl, whose name I later found out as Stephanie. He seemed to look happy with this new face. My mind accidentally drifted off to Erin and I could only hope that she's doing great.