Chapter 57 - Enter Lady Musa

I was so startled that I nearly jumped up. It was just three boys in the room until the female voice intruded. Realizing that the newcomer was behind us, I quickly turned around and placed my hand on my sword hilt. I relaxed and pulled my hand away when I saw a middle-aged woman of medium height and build. She was a brunette with her long hair tied neatly into a bun. She wore glasses with a black string tied to both ends and the glasses were looped around the back of her head. She wore a navy blue robe that seemed to shimmer and scintillate over the aura surrounding her body. Her eyes dazzled with gold sparkles dancing over her dark blue iris. Her smile was warm and welcoming. Superficially, she resembled a librarian from back home and she did not appear hostile to me. But in reality, her aura hinted that the woman was something far greater.

"Lady Musa!" Bishop Canterbury gasped out loud as he hurriedly got off his chair and walked around his desk to join us. With visible effort and pain, the old man got down on his knees and bowed deeply until his forehead touched the floor.

Seeing the bishop prostrate himself so humbly, I quickly copied his action. My heart started beating rapidly when I realized that this stranger had apparently teleported into the room. Also, I had heard the name "Musa" being invoked just a few minutes ago when Deacon Manfeuh was casting his identify spell. Thus, it was obvious what the newcomer was . . .

"Please rise, my children," the matronly voice responded.

When I got back to my feet, I noticed that Lord Bane was no longer his jolly old self. His face was turned away from Lady Musa and the demi-god seemed to be sulking for some reason. However, the demon did not initiate any hostile action toward the lady.

"How are you, my love?" Lady Musa asked, her amusement clear in her voice.

My eyes bulged at the term of endearment for the demon lord, and I quickly turned my attention back to Lady Musa, who I now suspected was another goddess judging by the bishop's reaction to her presence. This was the third divine being that I had encountered, and I had been in this gaming world for only four days! How did the commoners live out their lives being in such close proximity to divinity?

"Hohoho!" Lady Musa said in response to my reaction. "My dear, precious Baneny never told you that we were lovers, eh? Nor did he mention that Jasla, the light of my immortal life, is our love child?" She hovered over to the demon and wrapped her right arm around his waist.

The small demon was thoroughly embarrassed, but his dangerous glare at me forced aside the wisecrack that I was about to deliver at his expense. Nonetheless, he appeared rather content being joined at the hip with her.

"We were never informed of those facts, Lady Musa," Bishop Canterbury replied cautiously with his brows raised while glancing over at the demon. The gods were indeed secretive when it came to relationships amongst themselves. And since the mortal worshippers were often too preoccupied with pleasing their deities, these sort of questions rarely came up during interactions with the divinity.

Bane noticed the questioning look from his lackey and pointedly looked down at the ground. Oh, how did those burn marks appear on the rug?

"Forgive my ignorance, goddess, but how is it possible to have a union between a god of chaos and a goddess of order?" I asked politely, oblivious to the discomfort being felt by the other men in the study. "Wouldn't the two opposing forces cancel each other out? Isn't this relationship dangerous to both of you?" I heard two people cough loudly.

"Hohoho! You're an inquisitive one. I like you already!" Lady Musa praised me for quickly recognizing both her divinity and its source from the sphere of Order. "Order cannot exist without Chaos and vice versa. We exist for each other and we cannot exist without each other," she explained.