Prologue

The untamable sea waged war against the base of the cliff. Three-year-old Zacharias was roughly shaken from his sleep, the roaring of the water interrupting his bliss. His large blue eyes scanned the room as he sat up, holding the blankets around him. A beam of light crept through the crack under his door on the far side of the room - that meant that his parents were still awake. He peeled the heavy covers away from his little frame, clambering out of his bed. It was far too big for a child of his age, but he liked wrapping himself up in numberless blankets.
 He snuck across the room and opened the door as quietly as he could, his eyes flickering over the large hall. He ran towards the grandiose staircase, a long way for his little legs. Skidding to a stop, he began to slowly make his way down the marble stairs, his stubby hands grasping the banister. The stairs were ice cold against his feet, but the child was desperate to see his parents, afraid of the monsters that hissed each time the lightning lit up the house. He hated monsters.
 Slightly fearfully, he reached the last step. His victory was quickly slashed by the flashing of lightning, the shadow creatures growling at him.
 He ran, unable to suppress his panic, and hid next to the arch, hearing his parents' voices from inside the long sitting room. As quietly as he could, he peeked around the corner, the monsters forgotten. His father was stood next to the crackling fire, staring into the violent flames with as much force as the fire. His mother had her back to the young boy, her hands clasped in her lap. Lucian, the family butler, had his eyes trained on Mrs. Lionsoar. 
 "My husband and I, we have to leave for a while," Zacharias' mother was telling Lucian, her voice thin and strained. The young boy crept closer, wondering what his mother could mean.
 Lucian looked up at Mr. Lionsoar. "Will the children be going with you?" He was methodical as always.
 Mr. Lionsoar shook his head in an almost grave way. "Certainly not." If it hadn't been for his father's tone, he would have thought his parents were going on holiday. But Mr. Lionsoar sounded angry.
 "Sir?" Lucian tilted his head a little, in confusion. When Mr. Lionsoar didn't respond, Lucian cast his gaze back to Mrs. Lionsoar. "Ma'am?"
 She remained silent, her clouding eyes fixed on the carpet. Zacharias desperately wanted to run into his mother's arms, to ask what she meant.
 Mr. Lionsoar took a breath, his eyes flickering to Lucian. "You must promise me something before we leave."
 "Of course, Sir."
 "The children must be safe, they are your number one priority."
 "Safe, Sir?"
 Mr. Lionsoar sat down. His face was shadowy and solemn. "Safe. From everything...including the truth."
 "Ah," Lucian muttered in realisation. To Zacharias, it felt as if they were speaking some strange language, some form of adult-code. "They will be fine, like all other Lionsoars before them."
 "I knew we could rely on you," Mr. Lionsoar grimaced, forcing a taut smile.
 Lucian nodded again. "How long will you be gone?"
 Mr. Lionsoar's expression darkened and he spoke bitterly. "I don't know, Lucian. Do not try to contact us or you will be-" He cut himself off, getting back to his feet. He walked toward his wife who, too, stood. "We'll be leaving now," he informed.
 "Now Sir?" Lucian exclaimed, almost shocked (although not much could shock him anymore). "Don't you want to say goodbye to the children?"
 Zacharias looked at his mother; she made a pained noise, but said nothing. Tears of fear and rejection stung the boy's eyes, his hands clenched the doorframe.
 "Now," Mr. Lionsoar replied sharply. "That's what I said."
 "Will you need anything?" the butler asked.
 Mrs. Lionsoar shifted a little. "We have what we need."
 "Do you need me to drive-?"
 "Lucian!" Mr. Lionsoar's voice rose. He looked around for a moment, quietening himself. "I'll fetch the car." Mr. Lionsoar hurried away, taking long strides. He didn't notice his son, who watched him leave through the large front doors without a second glance.
 "Ma'am, what's going on?" Lucian asked, turning to Mrs. Lionsoar. Lucian's voice tore Zacharias' eyes from his father and back to the scene at hand.
 Shaking her head, her blue eyes welled with tears. Zacharias' hands went white as he clutched the doorframe, wanting to run to his mother. "You've been so good to me, Lucian. I'm going to miss you so much." He wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly. She cried, clutching the material of his shirt. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I can't tell you- I can't!" Her body trembled with sobs.
 Zacharias saw Lucian's grip tightened on her. "That's ok, ma'am. I'll take care of the children, I promise. And I'll be waiting when you get back."
 At his words, she cried harder. The engine of the car growled outside the window, barely audible over the thunder.
 "I've got to go," she said, gently pushing Lucian away. She walked straight passed Zacharias, who wanted to grab her hand and cry until she promised to stay. He thought she was going to leave, but she turned and looked at Lucian with her strong blue eyes. "Thank you, Lucian. I'm gonna miss you." She left, hurrying away like her husband had.
 "But where are you going?" Lucian muttered, watching her run into the night and join her husband in the car. Zacharias watched the butler stand in the doorway, his pale green eyes on the car. Taking this moment to make his escape, Zacharias took off up the stairs, more scared by what he had just witnessed than the monsters that still grinned at him.
 The following morning, neither Mr. or Mrs. Lionsoar were to be seen. They didn't return the day after that, or the day after that, or the day after that. Even a week later, they hadn't arrived. The following month, Mr. Lionsoar returned for the day, then vanished again. He did so every month for the next fourteen years, but Mrs. Lionsoar never returned for her children.