The Chase [2]

Hey guys, this is the second chapter to The Chase :3 hope you enjoy it! Any feedback is welcome! 

_______________________________________________________________________________

The phone rang, we didn't pick it up. The post came in, we didn't get it. People knocked on the door, we didn't answer it. Our lives had come to a standstill. My dad had been up every night for this whole weekend, phoning people, trying to get something out there, calling up anyone he could. He didn't realise that nothing he said would work, it wouldn't magically send May back home. She had been, what I assumed to be, kidnapped. Kidnap was an intricate underground scheme, why do you think people hardly ever got found? I don't know how many people knew about May, but one of her friends did come to knock. I made up some bullshit excuse that she was out camping for the weekend, that she must have forgotten to mention it. It took everything in me not to cry while I was talking to him when he was standing there. I'm sure he could tell something was wrong, who wouldn't be able to? 

I hadn't slept at all the past couple of days, and didn't go into school on Monday or Tuesday. I just couldn't get out of bed, couldn't face anyone or anything. The only thing I had eaten was half a ham sandwich because whenever I tried eating anything, I would feel like I needed to vomit. Every part of me ached and I had cried so much I wouldn't be surprised that if I tried again, no tears would come out. Dad had gotten through 3 bottles of scotch, hadn't showered and constantly had the smell of lingering alcohol coming from him. Whenever he tried to speak, his voice would come out scratchy, almost inaudible. It was no use talking to either of us, we were both dead inside, alive on the outside. I wished I was dead, I wished they had taken me rather than taken May. May was the only this that we had that kept Maa alive in our minds, and I know how much it hurt dad that she's gone. She looked like Maa, acted like Maa. She was younger than me, but she was our support system. She was the only dad decided to go back to work, to make a living for us. Now, he had no motivation. I wasn't going to force him to get out, I wasn't going to force him to do anything. Simply because I didn't have any energy to do it. 

I looked over at my phone, 15 messages, 76 missed calls, 21 voicemails and a countless number of texts. I turned around, put my head down on my pillow and closed my eyes. I couldn't pick up my phone, I couldn't explain it to anyone, I was going to wait till I could compose myself enough to look normal and then I'd go back into school as if everything was normal. If anyone asked where May was... well, I'd work on that later. As I was about to drift off, I heard May's voice, saw her piercing green eyes, her beautiful figure. 

"Why are you doing this to yourself Mia?" 

"Doing what May?"

"Locking yourself away, trying to hide what's happening from everyone, not looking after dad. Goddammit, look at him. He hasn't slept in days, he's living off scotch and his eyes are more bloodshot than that time I dyed my hair red."

"How are you taking this so normally, May? Where the hell are you? Why can't you just come back. Fucking hell, why couldn't they take ME instead!"

"Mia, stop. Stop thinking like that. Everything happens for a reason, remember? You told me that yourself."

"Yeah.. but... how could you possibly justify this?! Tell me, go on!"

"I don't kn-"

"MAY, MAY, MAY!"

I  shot up out of bed so fast that the room started spinning. I felt sick, I could feel those butterflies again, the ones that I always get before I was going to cry. But this time, I didn't cry. I screamed. I screamed so loud, I tried to get everything out of me, tried to scream loud enough so maybe Maa would hear me, that it would bring her down here. All I wanted was one of her hugs, that soothing voice of hers and hers, telling me it'll all be okay, telling me that May would be back. I couldn't believe it when I heard my dad say it, or when I said it to myself. It didn't sound like it would work. 

"MIA, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!" My dad shouted, as he burst open the door, sending my heart into overdrive. 

"Nothing, dad. What the hell.' That was the first time I'd spoken in a long time, my voice coming out more croaky than I anticipated it to.

"... I'm sorry, I just.. I heard you scream and I thought.. you know what, don't worry about it." 

And with that he was gone, back downstairs. I heard the familiar sound of the top off the bottle of scotch coming off, him getting a glass out of the cupboard and pouring. I lay back down in bed, closed my eyes again and drifted off into the first sleep I had, had for 5 days.