chapter eight

Elena's P.O.V.

        "And where do you think you're going, Torch?" Jack smirked, crossing his arms once I got to the end of the stage where he was standing. "You have to stay out there and answer some questions. Get on out there."

I covered the microphone on my headphones with my hand so the audience couldn't hear what I was about to say before responding to him.

"You suck," I muttered before sticking my tongue at him, turning around and walking back to the center of the stage.

I put my perky smile back on my face as I looked at the crowd, my eyes landing on Victor.

He came here.

He came to see me perform.

Why does that make me feel so warm and giddy inside?

"So, umm," I laughed quietly after I readjusted my microphone since I moved it out of position by accident. "Apparently, I'm supposed to answer a few questions during the intermission."

The crowd cheered in response.

At least they're all happy about this.

"Alright then, someone is down there with microphones," I mumbled. "I think."

"Are you ready to start?" Jack whispered from the side of the stage.

I nodded in his direction.

Let's do this!

I've got this!

I can do this!

"Are you single?" a male voice boomed through the speakers.

It took everything in me not to roll my eyes.

Why that question? I mean, come on, seriously? Every time I do something like this. Always that dumb question.

"No," I replied, feeling my face heat up slightly. "No, I am not."

I can guess what the next question is about now...

"Who are you with?" the voice asked.

Yep, I was right. I knew it.

"I'm sorry, but that's classified for protection purposes for both him and myself. But mostly him," I replied bluntly. "Next question?"

I'm sure my face is bright red now.

Disappointed 'awes' echoed throughout the stadium along with a few laughs.

        "Jack," I panted, plopping in a chair. "You're dead."

"I figured," Jack grumbled, looking at the floor. "But I... you had to give the fans what they wanted."

Of course, he did.

"The mark kind of stings a bit," I mumbled, rubbing the base of my neck where the mark's at.

"I wouldn't know why," he sighed. "Sorry."

I sat up straight in the chair.

"Victor came," I said, changing the topic again. "I saw him in the crowd."

"Oh, did you now?" a deep voice rumbled from behind me, warm hands placed themselves on my shoulders.

I yelped.

"Did I frighten you, darling?" Victor whispered in my ear.

I'm honestly starting to think that this is going to become a habit.

A terrible habit.

"No," I huffed, crossing my arms. "You just startled me. There's a difference."

"Ah," he hummed. "I see."

Jack must have let him in.

"Well," Jack cleared his throat awkwardly. "I think I'll give you two some privacy."

As soon as Jack had walked out and closed the door, I found myself to be squished between Victor's chest and his arms in a tight hug.

"Well then," I muttered, a little dizzy from quick movement and shock.

        A feeling of dread planted itself at the pit of my stomach as I slowly traveled to Victor's office.

I hope I didn't get lost... that would be bad.

"I can't believe he chose you, over me!" a female voice spat as a hand grabbed my shoulder and spun me around.

It was the girl who came into Victor's office the other day.

What's her name again?

Was I even told her name? I can't remember.

"Well, duh," I rolled my eyes. "I am his mate after all."

She snarled in response, not letting me pass her.

What does she even mean?

"What do you want?" I sighed. "I'm not in the mood for games right now."

Her hands clenched and her shoulders rose due to tension in her body building up.

Her fist went to hit me somewhere on my face, but I wrapped my hand around the front of her fist before she could do so.

"Okay, first of all, you are way too tense to throw a proper punch that will cause your opponent damage," I smirked, leaning in slightly. "And second of all, your fist is formed incorrectly. You'll only injure yourself with it formed like that. You'll break your thumb due to your form. Considering who your Alpha is, you should know this quite well."

My fingers continued to tighten around her fist until I heard a satisfying snapping sound of her thumb breaking and her squealing in pain.

"Just like that," I smirked.

"You bitch!" she shrieked.

I raised an eyebrow at her.

Is that the best comeback she could come up with? Really? I expected something a bit better than that. I'll make sure not to get my hopes up next time.

"Excuse you. I am a wolf, not a dog," I gasped playfully, the smirk still resting on my lips. "If you're going to insult me, do it correctly. Alright?"

"The Alpha's only using you, you know that right?" she bit out, glaring down at me. "He only needs you to have pups, once you give birth to one, he'll get rid of you and replace you with me!"
Ahh, so that's what she wants. Something she's never going to get.

"Doubtful," I growled into her ear. "If that were true, he wouldn't have marked me and claimed me as his mate."

I pushed her into the nearest wall as harshly as I could and continued on my way to my mate's office.