Chapter Three

I woke up with a pounding headache. I couldn't think. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't even move. When I opened my eyes I immediately threw up my arms to block the sun beating down on my face. I groaned and rolled onto my side, attempting to escape the light. I felt strong hands catch me as I began to fall and looked up into pale amber eyes. "Careful, Aurie."

 I jerked back, sitting up on the couch as I did so. I glared at him, though I wasn't really mad at him. I knew it wasn't really his fault he'd flipped out, so much as it was mine for provoking him. I knew I shouldn't have done that. Not that I wouldn't and didn't do things like that anyways.

 I could tell Kian had seen the guilt in my eyes and was about to say something, but I quickly said "how long was I out this time?"

 Kian shook his head in disbelief, before looking up to meet my gaze that now held no trace of any guilt. "Seven days. You had Jethro quite worried. As well as the rest of us."

 I arched an eyebrow. "The rest of you? As in-?"

 Kian nodded. "Yes. All of us. As in Alasdair, Camden, me, Naois, Niall, Seoras, Tocuil, Nalani, Jakori, and Valor."

 I stared at him in shock. "They're back? Wait. I didn't hear you name any of the Halfs. I thought you said Jethro was here. If he was, then Ezra and Kate would be here as well."

 Kian shrugged and sat down wearily on the floor, leaning against the couch. "Kate and Ezra. . ." He sighed. "They are with Cearbhall. Ashlin and Daylin convinced them. Necrosis helped, I believe." He closed his eyes, leaning his head back against my knee. I frowned as I began running my fingers through his choppy dark brown hair. "Our group is getting quite small."

 I sighed as I settled myself on a pillow, knees pulled slightly up with my feet hanging off the edge of the couch as I continued to run my fingers through Kian's hair. "I know. But what are we to do? We can't recruit humans. And, unless we manage to find those three Angels that were rumored to have fallen, and manage to convince them to join us, how much will that help us? There isn't really anything that we can do."

 Kian nodded, but the movement was slow. "I know. But we have to try. There are humans like you. That have a Curse and a Demon. I only wish we knew why. It might help with our situation."

 I nodded. "Maybe. But it is very rare to find them. They're usually pegged with mental disabilities and hard to get to, even if we can manage to find them." I yawned, blinking.

 Kian didn't move and his breathing was regular. I smiled. "He must not have slept for a while. He usually didn't just fall asleep, not like Camden. Camden's Demon was Exhaustion, so he was always tired and randomly falling asleep. Which really sucked during fights. I sighed and carefully slid off the couch, so as not to wake Kian up.

 I stood up and stretched, suppressing a yawn. Sometimes I really hated my visions. Okay, most of the time. It was always painful and I didn't always remember what they were. In a way, I could be as useless as Camden was if he fell asleep during fights. Not that I'm trying to say Camden is useless. He isn't. Not at all.

 I sighed at my jumbled thoughts and walked towards the door, wincing as the stiffness faded from my joints. As soon as I walked through the door I heard someone call my name, softly as if they knew Kian was sleeping not too far away. I turned slightly to the left, the direction I had heard the voice come from. Camden smiled tiredly through the exhausted state I knew he was always in. I smiled and walked towards where he was standing in a small box-like corner by a window that was shrouded in shadows.

 I leaned against the wall opposite Camden and he stared at me, light blue eyes tired. I crossed my arms. "Are you alright, Cam?"

 He shrugged. "About the same as always. How are you? Do you remember the vision this time? I have a feeling whatever it was it is very important."