Survival: Chapter Fifteen

Survival

• Chapter Fifteen•

So far the party is super kickass... for everyone but me. As people drink tequila shots off girls' bellies I sit far from the commotion. Just me myself and I (oh, and my chips). In someway I kind curiosity and many questions pop in mind.

How does it feel to get drunk?

How does it feel to have a hangover?

How does it feel to be high?

And how does it feel to be fucking normal?

I stop thinking and start realizing I can have fun like anyone else here.

I get up. Look for Emma. I find her. And I invite her to drink a beer with me. Just like that.

"You sure, Adam," Emma asks me. "You've tasted beer, right?"

"Totally," I lie. I've actually never tasted a drop of beer. I don't find beer bad, but I do think there's a limit to it.

We go. We grab a beer. And I open and it with my hand. I take a sip and it takes like pee. "Mmh, it's really good."

She laughs.

"Kinda, not a big fan," Emma confesses." If I don't drink a little I'm not enjoying life." Emma is so right. I'm sure her objective in coming here was to have a little fun. That's exactly what I should do. I don't have chug a gallon of beer or snort cocaine to have a good time. I can have a good time without acting like 99% of the people in here.

I continue drinking my beer, little by little. I throw it away when it's half and empty so Emma can think I'm actually drinking it all. I do it all party long. Grab one drink 10-50 % of it and throw it away, and grab another one. I know it's a waste, but it actually fools people into thinking your "in the crowd."

Suddenly, Stephanie comes up to us with some guy holding her hand, I'm guessing Jake.

"Hey, let's go swimming," she says and I notice: if I get invited I have nothing to wear in the pool. "Come on Adam, you too."

"But I don't have speedo-I mean swimming trunks."

They laugh at my stupid joke, and it makes me feel good.

"Oh, this is Jake," Stephanie tells me as she grabs Jake's hand and brings forward.

"What's up, man," Jake says.

"Hey man, nice party." I try to sound cool.

"Yeah, it's small but I like it," he says.

I ask," what are you celebrating, your birthday?"

"We're celebrating that my parents have money and that they're letting me throw a bash, that's what," he answers in an optimism voice.

"Cool," I say.

"Come on let's go wet," Stephanie says.

Wow, does that involve me?" Jake asks.

"Oh, that will be later," Stephanie tells Jake. Then she plants a kiss on him.

Emma grabs my hand and my heart raises. We start walking towards the pool filled with crazy college kids.

"I can't get in," I say. " I don't have nothing to wear."

"Doesn't matter, Adam," she says in a bit deductive way. Is she drunk? She steps closer to me. I'm thinking she's going to place a kiss on me, but instead, she playfully pushes me into the pool.