If he doesn’t pull his arm off of her-

‘Don’t.’

You can’t be serious-

‘Shut up.’

                “Don’t touch me.” Ginger spoke, her eyes shadowed.

                “So we’re playing that game, huh?” He grinned, leaning in towards her neck as if to kiss her. I felt myself go rigid and I stood, leaning forwards to tear him away, but within the next second, her brother beat me to it, ripping Donavon from the chair and throwing him to the ground.

                “Don’t you fucking touch my sister.” His voice was cold. Had something happened between Donavon and Ginger that I didn’t know about?

                “Garret.” Ginger said softly, a tremble breaking her voice. His eyes jerked up to his sister. She seemed ready to burst into tears.

                “Saxon.” He said my name and I blinked in surprise. “Take her.” I nodded, pulling Ginger to her feet. Garret trusted me with his sister –at least enough to get her away from whatever Donavon had done. When he saw I had taken hold of Ginger’s arm, he looked to Donavon, who was still on the floor.

Good. That’s where the bastard belongs.

                “Why the hell are you bothering her, huh?” Garret’s face was red with anger as I tugged Ginger away. She seemed ready to fall apart. It was killing me inside. Fuck. This shouldn’t be happening. She shouldn’t be having this effect on me. Not yet. We’d barely talked.

                “Didn’t your mother tell you the news?” Donavon gloated. Garret didn’t wait for another response. His fist slammed across Donavon’s face. Repeatedly. I couldn’t help but a small flare of jealousy. I wanted to beat him senseless.

But we have someone more important to take care of.

                Exiting the building, I led Ginger into the field by the school. Her face was pale and sweat sheened her forehead.

                “Are you ok?” I asked softly. She opened her mouth to speak. Closed it. Then she burst into tears, falling to the ground in a heap. I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly. Oh hell. I couldn’t stand it when girls cried. What was I supposed to do?

Comfort her.

                So I sat down next to her, wrapped an arm around her shaking shoulders, and mumbled “It’s ok.” She shook her head, tears, like rivulets streamed down her pale cheeks.

                “You don’t understand.” She whispered. I tilted my head in question. I wanted to understand.

                “Explain it then.” I murmured. Her eyes widened as if she couldn’t fathom telling me, before that began to water again. “Or don’t. It’s none of my business.” I said quickly, wanting to console the distraught girl.

I beg to differ.

‘Do you want her to like us or not?’

                “I just… he… I can’t…” She bit her lip, taking a deep, shuddering breath. Recomposing her normally warm façade, she shifted out of my arm. “It’s nothing. Nothing at all.”

                “Yea. Ok.” I snorted incredulity. Her eyes flashed in displeasure. “But Ginger? I promise whatever that bastard did to you won’t happen again. I won’t let it. Ok?”  She bit her lip, shaking his head.