Chapter 24- Like Studded Diamonds

Start from the beginning

"So, are we still on for berry picking?" My friend asked as she bounced over to Braixen who was still clutching my bouquet of flowers. The golden haired girl examined the bundle like a contest judge, carefully picking out her favorite.

"Sure! We can go as soon as Aron wakes up." I answered, eager to get a taste of the delicious fruit waiting nearby.

"I'll drag my brother out of bed. Why don't you and Ash go ahead and start. I'm sure we'll catch up. Don't be hesitant to wonder far!" She exclaimed with a playful wink in my direction. My cheeks immediately reddened, heating to the temperature of fire.

"Well, we don't want to get lost." Ash remarked, completely clueless to her intensions. In some cases, it appeared that Elaina's supposed love lessons proved of use and others, it seemed like no progress was made at all. Elaina sighed, obvious frustration evident in her voice.

"Someday, you'll thank me for this, Ash." She rolled her eyes before proceeding to Aron's tent. She left my crush and I alone, with the quietness of the forest. Braixen held out her Pokeball for me, as if trying to convey a message. And I knew what it was. She too, wanted to give us some privacy.

Why did everyone want me to go into cardiac arrest?! Being alone with Ash wasn't always the best for my nerves and neither was it good for my ability to form proper sentences. Oh Arceus above, please help me.

I took the bouquet of flowers from Braixen before returning her to her Pokeball.  The sweet aroma from the bundle of blossoms was somewhat calming. I inhaled deeply, letting the freshness fill my lungs to the brim. I let myself vanish from the situation for a split second.

"Those are really pretty flowers, Serena." Ash's voice rang through my ears and I peered at him over the bouquet.

"Thanks Ash, I picked them this morning. This part of the forest has an amazing variety to offer." I said, probably boring him with my flower talk. Fortunately, he didn't seem uninterested.

"Are they for anyone in particular?" He asked, making me freeze. Every fiber in my body paused. I stopped breathing, stopped my heart beating, stopped feeling. Hell, I even stopped digesting last nights diner.

"Umm...n-no. N-no one in p-particular." I struggled to get a full sentence out my mouth. I wanted to melt away into an irrelevant puddle. That question probably didn't mean much to him, just a topic of conversation, but it made me weak-kneed. Why was I so pathetic around him?

"Oh, well, why don't we start picking berries?" He suggested. I shook my head, quickly putting myself back together.

"Sure, let's go." I smile genuinely at Ash, hoping to cease the tension a little. The raven haired boy grinned back, flashing pearly teeth. His smile always made butterfly's erupt in my stomach. They collided with the walls of my interior, causing slight light headedness.

We walked through the forest, gathering multicolored fruit and adding them to an ever growing collection. Mostly, we stayed in silence, simply happy with each other's company. It wasn't awkward, but rather peaceful. Ash would often pluck a berry just to put it in his mouth, savoring the sweet juices as it poured over the edges of his lips. I laughed at him, pointing out his obsessive eating habit.

"If you continue to eat them all, there won't be any left for anyone else!" I remarked, watching as he smiled sheepishly at me. I couldn't resist that playful smile. The way it highlighted his dimples and small 'z' shaped scars on his cheeks. He was so breathtakingly handsome I had to pinch myself at times.