The Good Witch of Faere Dhu

Isobel McGonagall had once been sent a letter very similar to the one that Minnie now held in her hands, the story started. Minnie stared up at her mother with wide eyes full of fascination, awe, and a little bit of fear as Isobel told her about a castle far away, outside of a village called Hogsmeade, beside a black lake and a forbidden forest. She told her about classes with funny names like Divination and Transfiguration... about magic wands and broomsticks and funny sports called Quidditch. She spoke of high towers and enchanted ceilings, of owls that delivered letters, and fireplaces that transported you from place to place in an instant - "So much faster than motorcars!" Isobel said. And in this place, in this wonderful, incredible place - they taught the art and science of magic.

"There's a whole world, Minerva," Isobel said in a hushed, excited voice, "A whole world that you know nothing of, that you'll learn about at Hogwarts! A whole world of magic."

Minerva's heart raced at the thought of it.

"But we musn't tell your father," Isobel said. "Not yet. Let me do that. For now, you must keep this a secret between you and I. Only we shall know of your place at Hogwarts until the time is right. Is that understood?"

Minerva nodded.

"Good girl," said Isobel, kissing her daughter's forehead gently and pulling her into a warm hug. Minnie wrapped her arms about her mother and Puddy rubbed himself against her back. "I've waited for this day for eleven years, Minerva," Isobel breathed, "I always knew you were special. I knew from the verra moment you were born."

Minerva's cheek pressed to her mother's chest as Isobel held her near and she smiled, pleased because her mother was pleased, and excited about the thought of learning about magic, and of seeing this castle with all the towers and spires that Isobel had described... But as she sat, being hugged so close and tight, she couldn't help but wonder:

What would father think?

For her birthday, Minerva received a new dress for church ("Do not let me catch you in the rafters with this one!" warned Isobel), a doll that had blinking eyes, and a little pink leather book of prayers with a note written inside from her father. Her mother also promised to bring her for a special ice cream the next weekend - and the promise was accompanied by a wink that made Minerva think perhaps there would be something extra special about the trip, something that they couldn't tell father just yet.

Her birthday seemed to last forever, for although it was nice to get all the attention from her parents and for Malcolm to have to be nice to her for the whole day - and Robbie was so cute singing the Birthday Song to her around the tartes that Isobel had made for her birthday dessert (Minnie's favorite treat) - she really wanted to go and talk to Dougal McGregor.

That silly Dougal McGregor - holding out on her all this time! For when you turned eleven, you got the letter from Hogwarts, surely Dougal had already gotten his, having turned eleven in July! Why hadn't he told Minnie about the owl and the letter in the funny green ink from the man with the odd little name - Albus Dumbledore! - and she was just dying to go and punch him in the arm for keeping it a secret from her.

Saturday morning, Minnie ran across the field, barefoot as always, wearing a pair of shorts and a top with a belt about her waist. She found a stick on the way through the woods to the Clubhouse where they played, and waved it about, imagining herself to be quite the little witch already, making up spells as she hit branches with the stick, saying nonsense words like "twiddle di dee!" and "fiddle faddle!" as she brandished it about.