THIRTEEN |pot calling kettle black

Start from the beginning

"It's Nina," His voice broke again and his bottom lip began to quiver. He looked up at Carter, eyes filled with unshed tears. "They killed her."

"Wait, what?" Carter swallowed the forming lump growing in her throat, utterly confused. "Who killed her? What's going on?"

"Pike, Bellamy and the rest of their gang," He sobbed, pulling at his hair. His words were slurred and fast, but even so, Carter could still hear it and her heart dropped, that lump in her throat closed up and her entire body tensed. "They left when everyone was sleeping, I was going to visit her like I always do, but when I got near the camp all I heard was gunshots. They slaughtered every single one of them, including her. She didn't even put up a fight! Who does that?! Who kills an innocent girl like that?! They were there to protect us and they killed them!" He know shook with anger, but Carter couldn't move, her breathing had gone shallow as she stood there, watching her grieving friend as he openly cried on her bed.

"They went through with it..." Ren whispered, completely dumbfounded as he stared at nothing, his eyes unfocused.

Steven took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down as he rubbed at his eyes. "You know, I tried everything to save her, but I was too late. So I just sat there and held her hand, talking to her like nothing was wrong until she..." He trailed off, swallowing hard. "She told me she loved me, and I didn't even get to tell her my real name."

Just hearing the absolute angst in his voice shook the engineer. Hearing him speak with such a soft, raw voice sparked something in her and in the next breath she saw nothing but red. Her chest was exploding with so much anger, she felt as though she no longer had a rational part of her body. Within seconds, she was out of her room and storming towards the courtyard, her fists tightly screwed up by her sides. Her jaw was locked tightly and she ignored the stares from people as she pushed past them. She didn't even feel that kind of fury when she lost her best friend, but then Nina was the opposite of a killer, she aided them back to health when she didn't have to. She was a good person, and she didn't deserve the ending she got. Neither did Steven.

As she broke out to the courtyard, it was easy enough to spot to Pike and his farm squad since they had a crowd of curious civilians around them. The first thing she noticed was the crimson liquid that stained their body armour and she sucked in a deep breath, seeing the blood on their clothes just made it all the more real and that was it, she was sprinting straight towards the man who was behind it all, the man who thought that his words could easily justify the killing of hundreds of innocent Grounders. He didn't even see her coming, not when she burst through the sea of people, not even when she ran into him with full force, knocking him off his feet and landing a punch to his face. She wanted to do more than that to him, she wanted to keep hitting him until her knuckles began to bleed and her own blood mixed with his. She wanted to make him feel the pain he just laid upon an entire fleet of innocent, but she never got that far. Two members of the farm squad yanked at her arms, pulling her back to her feet and away from Pike.

"You're disgusting!" She yelled, her voice shaking from the outrage that heated her entire body. "You speak of protecting your own, saying that the potential slaughter of your people is enough to slaughter others, innocents, is hypocrisy!" She struggled against the ones that were restraining her, but it was to no avail. "You're a fucking coward, all of you! Killing hundreds of them as they were sleeping? What is wrong with you?! You didn't even give them the chance to defend themselves!"

"I did what was necessary for our people." Was Pike's only response as he wiggled his jaw from Carter's blow.

"Your people. I have nothing to do with any of these, you're all killers, every single of you..." Her eyes drifted towards Bellamy who looked conflicted, but stood his ground beside Pike. There was a slight pang in her chest from the betrayal she felt, but she tried not to show it. "You're so caught up on our own losses, you can't even see the cold blooded killer you've turned into... you're not the person I fell in love with."