Transfiguration

Transfiguration is a core class and subject taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It teaches the art of changing the form and appearance of an object. This type of magic is commonly referred to as "Transfiguration". There are limits to Transfiguration, which are governed by Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration. There are also many branches, including Cross-Species Transfiguration and Human Transfiguration. This type of magic is regarded as "very hard work" and is "more scientific" than any other subject. One has to get it exactly right for the transfiguration to be successful.

Transfiguration is a required subject for all first year to fifth year students, with the option of a N.E.W.T. (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test) course in sixth and seventh year. Minerva McGonagall was the Transfiguration Professor from 1956 until 1998, the year in which she became Headmistress of the school. Before her, Albus Dumbledore taught Transfiguration. It's unknown who became the Transfiguration professor after she became Headmistress of Hogwarts. McGonagall believes Transfiguration to be more elegant and superior to other types of magic.

Students practise actual transfigurations during classes. Accidents sometimes result in partial transfigurations and theoretical homework is sometimes assigned. The further into a student's education the more difficult the classwork and homework becomes.

Class information
Professor :
Albus Dumbledore (formerly)
Minerva McGonagall (formerly)
Classroom :
Class 1
Class 34
Class 99
Classroom 1B
Required textbooks :
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
Intermediate Transfiguration
A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration
Required equipment :
Wand
Books
Parchment
Quill