Defence Against the Dark Arts

Defence Against the Dark Arts (sometimes written as DADA) is a subject taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry . In this class students learn how to magically defend themselves against Dark Creatures, the Dark Arts, and other dark charms. Offensive magic is also taught in this class, such as how to duel, which requires the use of both offensive and defensive magic.

The subject is core class at Hogwarts. Defence Against the Dark Arts is a required subject from first year to fifth year. The curriculum of the class varies greatly depending on what the professor at the time deems appropriate. Due to the jinx on the teaching post that was present before Lord Voldemort died, many teachers have been appointed to this post.

The lessons generally have a practical approach, with many of the teachers (except Dolores Umbridge) believing that when it comes to the Dark Arts a practical approach is the best way, with theoretical assignments given as homework.

Class information
Professor :
Galatea Merrythought (Hogwarts, 1895 - 1945)
Quirinus Quirrell (Hogwarts, 1991 - 1992)
Gilderoy Lockhart (Hogwarts, 1992 - 1993)
Remus Lupin (Hogwarts, 1993 - 1994)
Bartemius Crouch Jr (Hogwarts, 1994 - 1995)
Dolores Umbridge (Hogwarts, 1995 - 1996)
Severus Snape (Hogwarts, 1996 - 1997)
Amycus Carrow ( Hogwarts, 1997 - 1998)
Unidentified ( Hogwarts, 1998-
Classroom :
Class 31
Class 104
Classroom 3C
Temporary Classroom
Required textbooks :
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble[2]
Gilderoy Lockhart's collected works
Break with a Banshee
Gadding with Ghouls
Holidays with Hags
Travels with Trolls
Voyages with Vampires
Wanderings with Werewolves
Year with a Yeti
Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard
Dark Arts Defence: Basics for Beginners
Confronting the Faceless
Required equipment :
Wand
Books
Parchment
Quill