Herbology

Herbology is the study of magical and mundane plants and fungi, making it the wizarding equivalent to botany. Herbology is a core class and subject taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, in which students learn to care for and utilise plants, learn about their magical properties and what they are used for. Many plants provide ingredients for potions and medicine, while others have magical effects of their own right.

Herbology is a mandatory class at Hogwarts for the first five years of a student's education. Students spend class time learning about the different varieties of magical plants that exist. The further into a student's education the more difficult and dangerous the plants become.

In the fifth year students take Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations, much of the year is spent working with a variety of more dangerous plants like the Fanged Geranium, as well as revisiting the past four years of lessons. As part of their Herbology O.W.L, students must sit a written exam, and then complete a practical exam, during which the students work with a wide selection of plants .

Students who achieve a passing grade on their Herbology O.W.L. move on to the advanced class, where the plants become more dangerous still. At the end of their seventh year, students prepare for their N.E.W.T.s.

Class information
Professor :
Herbert Beery (formerly)
Pomona Sprout (formerly)
Neville Longbottom
Classroom :
Class 102
Herbology greenhouses
Required textbooks :
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Flesh-Eating Trees of the World[1]
Required equipment :
Dragon-hide gloves
Earmuffs
Dragon dung compost
Mooncalf dung
Wand
Books
Parchment
Quill