Chapter Nine

Change of POV

I was back onto my feet and I shifted on them uneasily. How could I not? I’m with a royal child here that could get me in trouble with anything and I mean anything! Anyone would take a child’s word over anything and I respect that a lot more, truthfully despite sometimes it can be a lie…

Yet why wasn’t this little girl screaming that a servant was touching her to get me in trouble?

Because we are holding hands.

That’s right. Pine was holding my hand as she literally dragged me everywhere with high enthusiasm a child always seem to have. I don’t understand why she would want my company of all things!

Wouldn’t she prefer her family or her own friends over me?

I don’t understand this at all.

But who could understand a child especially a child from the Underworld? I still have a lot to learn about this dimension after all…

“Foal!” Pine said brightly to me, tilting her head up to peer at my face. “Where you wanna go?”

I felt my face heat up at her nickname for me. I averted my gaze. “Ah, I wouldn’t mind where we go, princess.” I haven’t been nicknamed that yet in this dimension and for her to figure out my old nickname was quite embarrassing but not hard to figure out, I guess.

Pine giggled. “You're nice!” She told me, nodding before she tugged me along towards another hallway.

Verin is going to kill me… I couldn’t help but think that. I mean, I wasn’t in his room like I was suppose to be in and better yet! I’m with his little sister and I doubt he wanted me ever near her so I was so, so screwed at this point.

“Outside?” Pine suggested. “Wanna play outside?” She still held my hand as she looked up at me innocently, having no idea what such suggestion had done to me.

Outside. My thoughts echoed that single word, that single hopeful word. It was such a tempting one as well because I knew if I stepped outside, I would want to run. And run I would do until I get caught again in my foolishness.

Above all, though, it was tempting.

But would I risk it and risk hurting this child’s feelings, who earnestly sought a friend in me of all the creatures to try and befriend?

“Foal?” Pine asked, gently tugging at my hand. “Play outside?”

My breathing came a little short and felt like my chest expanded. Earlier, I was in mix of emotions of anger, fear and anxiety. Mostly fear, really. But this feeling?

It was a longing kind of feeling. It was something that I knew if I stare at it too long, I would give in temptation to reach out to only get burn because it was something I wasn’t allowed to touch.

“Foal?” Pine repeated in concern.

I finally snapped out of it and shook my head quickly yet frantically. “No, I’m sorry, Pine.” I whispered hoarsely. “I’ll get in trouble if I do.”

Pine blinked up at me a few times before she made a tiny nod. “Okay.” She said, agreeing so easily that it made me wonder if she had a sense of understanding higher than a normal child. She smiled a little. “Then let’s go to my room!”

I nearly sagged in relief that she was going to let me off the hook about this one but I was back to alarm again. “Your room?” I asked, saying in a small voice.

Maybe I’m the frightened child here. Yeah, I’m being such a pup lately…

Pine giggled. “Yes, my room!” Her smile widened before she tugged me along. “Come!”

I bit back a groan. “Fine…” I muttered in utter defeat as I followed her down the dark hallways. I glanced around a little uneasily. How could this child be so bright and happy in such a dark, nightmare-ish environment? I don’t think I want to know how…

I must of blanked out for too long because we had suddenly stopped at these huge wooden door that was engraved with flowers which made me figure out it was her bedroom that was specially made for her.

Pine reached up and opened the door to make it swing wide open for me to see. Her room was similar to Verin’s room except it was much bigger and brighter. It was definitely a child-like feel to it yet there was a maturity for it when she gets older as well.

The color of the room was a subtle color of purple. It wasn’t dark nor was it too light of a color for the walls and carpet. I would of investigated more of the room if it wasn’t for Pine grabbing my hand and leading me to the other side of the room before I could look further around.

“Let’s play with my toys!” She told me brightly.

I was a little uneasy. “You sure you want my company, princess?” I asked, glancing back at the door. “I don’t think Verin will approve…”

Pine peered up at me once more, her eyebrows crumpled adorably in confusion. Her little innocent gaze was swirled with the emotion of bewilderment. Her smile turned to a small little frown that was on the border of being a pout. She tilted her head so her black hair swayed. “How come?”

Okay, I will admit, the child got me stumped there for a moment. I cleared my throat a little, making small time to make up my new excuse.  “Because I’m a slave… Not someone to play with…” I hesitated in my small excuse, hoping that doesn’t hurt her feelings despite being honest.

Pine blanked at the word slave but her eyes began to register the idea that it wasn’t a good name to have. “You aren’t that.” She said, shaking her head. “You are my new friend!”

I stopped as I stared at the child in front of me. Wait a minute… I began to open my mouth to try and correct her until…

Pine took my hands again and looked up at me with those hopeful gaze but I could see the sadness hidden in there. “You are my new friend, right?” She asked, her voice light and a little shaky.

… I instantly melted. My god, who can ignore such adorableness this child holds? I spoke to myself, shaking my head a little. I kneel down in front of her and rest my forehead against her hands that held my own.

“Princess,” I began gently, “I will be honored to be your friend but I am not permitted with such a role. Except that I am here for your biding so don’t take it too harshly in your sweet little heart.”

“Well, aren’t you a charmer?” a sudden new voice spoke out that wasn’t recognized or familiar to me. “Are you a pedophile?”

I was startled and insulted by the accusation that I pulled back to stand up. “I am no pedophile as I love children as my own.” I began to say, a little furious for being called such an insulting thing. “And I wasn’t charming her--” I turned around to face the voice to realize this person was obviously a male but he was also royal as soon as I saw him.

“Cresi?” Pine spoke up, looking past me to look at the male at the door. Her face was an open book between the emotions of deep sadness, confusion and maybe hope?

I stared at the long, black haired male that had the blue eyes before I looked down at Pine. “Cresi?” I repeated.

“I am Cresil Efros.” Cresil spoke up before Pine could answer me.

I looked back at him when he spoke. “Are you related to Verin?” I asked.

Cresil looked at me in disdain. “I didn’t give you permission to speak but yes, I am Verin’s younger brother and that is my younger sister.” His eyes glittered in a subtle form of anger. “But that isn’t important as why you are here with a royal child, slave.”

Before I could try to defend myself, Pine spoke for me, “Cresi, don’t be mad!” She whimpered. “I was by myself and I wanted someone to play with me. Veri wasn’t there so I asked Foal and he said yes.”

Cresil still had that cold look on his face and it seemed to be chilling with the child. “You never play with slaves, Pine. You know better than that!” He snarled. “Don’t you ever listen? Father would be disappointed in you.”

Pine’s eyes began to glisten and her lips trembled at his angry tone. “B-But…” Her voice shook despite how small it suddenly sounded. “I thought since that he’s with Veri that… It was okay…”

“Well, you thought wrong!” Cresil snapped. “Stop seeking for some attention and act like you should. If you don’t want to be yelled at then don’t make mistakes!”

I knew this was out of the line as soon as he snarled at her but what broke me the most was when Pine’s eyes watered so much that tears began to fall. Her eyes glistened with her hurt and she choked on a sob. Her hands were balled up and they began to move up to her eyes to wipe them, still shaking as she cried.

“Hey,” I snarled, “Don’t speak to her like that!” I snapped back at him. “She’s still a child! So don’t talk so harshly about her for wanting some company. She must of felt lonely so instead of yelling her for it, fix it!”

Cresil snarled at me. “How dare you speak to me like that!”

“Oh, I definitely will dare to!” I spat. “Because even I have some sense not to make a little girl cry unlike you.” Then I lowered my voice in such a dangerous tone that I knew I will get in trouble for the upcoming threat. “So, get out of here before I rip your god damn throat out for hurting her feelings.”

Cresil looked like he was shocked by my response then he looked threatening. “I’m going to make sure you get punished for that threat, slave.” He said darkly. “You better watch your back for now on.”

“You don’t frighten me so get out of here.” I growled, baring my fangs at him before I kneel back down to gently stroked Pine’s hair. “Shh, child, It’s okay. Don’t cry.” I cooed, trying to encourage her to drop her hands so I can look at her.

I knew Cresil left because I didn’t feel that glare at my back anymore. Instead, I kept my focus on the crying child in front of me. “Pine, come on, let big Foal see your darling little face.” I encouraged her, smiling a little as I tried to lighten the mood.

Pine kept her fists at her eyes as she sniffled, letting out another choked cry. Her lips trembled still as she tried not to cry so loud. It made my chest ache to see such a sweet child cry.

“Can you show me your toys?” I asked, trying to distract her. “Wasn’t there something you want to show me?”

That got Pine’s attention as she slightly paused to lower her fists a little, still sniffling. She lowered them a little more so I had a glimpse of her watery eyes. “Hm?”

I smiled gently as I stroked her hair back before I took her hands into my own. I slowly pulled them away from her face and glad that she let me. Her eyes were already getting red and puffy. Her cheeks flushed. “Didn’t you want to show me something?” I asked her, smiling.

Pine sniffled and hesitated. “I…” She hiccupped. “I did… B-But Cresi…” Her bottom lip trembled again as new tears began to form.

I realized she must of felt really hurt by her older brother’s words after all and wasn’t going to easily forget them. I sighed and gently picked her up as I got up. I sat down in a nearby chair and sat her on my lap, hugging her. “It’s okay, Pine.” I cooed, stroking her hair. “He was just being a jerk.”

Pine’s hands grabbed onto my shirt as she buried her small face against my chest, weeping again. I could feel her tears into my shirt but I did not mind.

What made me mind though was the fact this poor child was hurting and feeling lonely due to the neglecting from her father and older sibling. I didn’t count Verin because Pine spoke of him in great affection so I knew Verin had not ignored her at all which made me relieved to know.

I think time is going a little too fast for me lately. I mean, all these crazy things happened in what, a hour? Two hours? I wouldn’t know!  There wasn’t a clock in sight around here so I was confused how they could tell time around here. If they could.

I softly patted the top of Pine’s head until she finally calmed down enough that I could at least understand her if she spoke to me. “Better?” I asked her gently as I got her to look back up at me again as she sat on my knee. She was so tiny!

Pine’s eyes were puffy but she seemed to be calmer. She nodded and made a small sniffle.

I glanced towards the blackened window. “I think its bedtime for you, don’t you think so?”  I asked her with a small smile.

“I don’t wanna go to bed.” Pine muttered. “Veri has to read me a story.”

“Okay…” I hesitated. “Do you want me to go get him?” I asked her, lightly and a little nervous because that would mean I would get yelled at…

“Please?” Pine pleaded, looking up at me with those sad, sad eyes.

I easily gave into the sweet child. “Of course, princess.” I told her. “I will go get him right away for you.” I gently picked her up and brought her to her huge bed that was meant for the princess. I set her down onto it and patted her head again. “I will be right back.”

Pine nodded her head and waved. “Bye-Bye.”

I backed up to the door and smiled back at her, the smile came so easily now. “Be back.” I told her again before I completely left the room.

I began to tread back where I was before which was Verin’s room but within like five minutes, someone already grabs my arm and made me face them.

It was Cresil, of course.

“If you are looking for my stupid brother, he’s at my dad’s office because he got in a fight with my cousin.” Cresil told me. “And I’m still pissed at you so don’t think this is my way of helping your dumb ass because you would of found out eventually.”

I stared at him blankly. Wait a minute… What?

“Get your ass to dad’s office already, you stupid wolf!” Cresil snapped and shoved me the other direction. “Hurry up!”

I didn’t know how I started walking to that office but I did. I kept walking to that direction to his father’s office, dreading every moment because that talk was still fresh in my mind.

And all I could think of was…

                                                   Why and how did Verin get in a fight?

                                              And what is going to happen to him now?

______________________________________________________

Author's Note:

Okay, I've finally, FINALLY uploaded!

Any opinions on Foalan and Cresil and Pine so far? Huuh?

Alright, now pay attention to THIS, okay? As this is the cruelest, perhaps evilest thing I could ever demand from my fans.

I know how much you all are now greedily waiting for the next chapter which will be maybe either interesting or a boring chapter yet but you would never know...

As I am demanding from my fans, for the 10th chapter of this story, I would like to reach 10,000 or more reads.

Yes, you have read me right. If you get me up to 10,000+ reads, I will make sure to upload right away within a day to get that chapter up. I promise as I'm already starting the next chapter as we speak.

My only question is... How desperate are my fans to get me to that goal? And how much do they want me to love them? :D

This is all I ask or demand from you all and its rare for me to do so and I don't think its asking much, now is it?

Thank you!

Please have a great reading experience!