26 / The Forgotten Fortune

Start from the beginning

"I probably am, I'm probably not. What do you think, Maisie?"

Tapping my fingers on the arms of the chair, I stammered, "I mean, if that really happened, that's an extremely weird lady you three met. You don't honestly think she was telling the truth, right?"

Logan soon settled his eyes back to me, letting out a sigh.

"I know what I think. The question is, do you think she was telling the truth?"

With the direction this conversation was going, Logan was having me indirectly cornered. 

My eyes fell to my lap, and I firmly spoke, "She probably tells that to anyone who likes something. I'm sure there's other hazelnut coffee lovers out there too."

"You could say that, but if you look at it right now, maybe the fortune teller was right," Logan replied in a low murmur.

Glancing back at Logan, this was his way of telling me that I was hurting him. The notion was killing me. 

Looking at him in the eyes, I gave him a sincere apology, "Logan, you're an amazing person, and I see you as one of my closest friends. But, I just — I'm really sorry, I really am."

After a moment of silence, Logan replied, "It's okay..."

He was lying. His midnight blue eyes were betraying him at this very moment.

"I just realized how stupid I sound right now. The world is starting to spin on me," Logan quietly revealed, his hand reaching for his head.

Fixing my position on the seat, I inched closer and asked, "Logan, are you okay?" 

That was when I noticed that Logan was experiencing pain... and the smell of alcohol. Logan tightly clutched onto his head and hissed. 

My voice rang.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

He shook his head and insisted, "I'm okay, Maisie, I just had a little to drink."

"No, you're not okay! Wait, you're drunk?" I unintentionally exclaimed.

Logan gritted his teeth together.

"A little. I don't take alcohol that well."

Before I could say anything, Logan collapsed on me. 

Quickly, I pulled him back to his chair and started to panic. Logan passed out! Doesn't this remind you of the time Bryce passed out sick on me? At least this time, I was much more smarter and called for everyone's attention as I rushed back inside the villa, shouting for help. In the back of my mind, I couldn't help but pound myself with guilt seeing Logan like this.

It was all my fault, right?

"What the — I just had to use the bathroom, and now he's gone!" 

Zack was peering over his mother's shoulders as Logan was placed snugly in the bed of his designated room.

Mrs. Romano wasn't pleased with the outcome of Zack and Logan's little drinking charade. 

She shook her head, placing her hands on her hips as she scolded, "Zackary Romano, I could have sworn I taught you to be more responsible. You're twenty-five yet you're being careless. I will definitely tell Kelsey about this."

Zack's voice shifted seriously towards his mother.

"Come on Mom, I'm not going to hear the end of it from Kelsey. I told her that I wouldn't do any of that stuff, but we just wanted to have a little fun. Logan needed to ease himself up."