Words are being exchanged, though we're too far away to hear them and I don't even realise that the Pedrad brothers were gone until Zeke returns with a gun in each hand and one slung across his back.

He passes one to Eric and I, "Just in case," He tells us, "I doubt things will stay as peaceful as they are now."

I look at the two women who were still speaking to each other and took a deep breath, "I want to be there," I say, "I want to hear what she has to say."

Uriah and Zeke exchange a hesitant look, before the former speaks up. "Look, Nessie. I get what you're saying, but we can't blow our cover."

"You guys can stay here, but I should be the one who speaks to her." I looked to Eric almost pleadingly, "I have to do this. Alone."

Though I can see the reluctance in Eric's eyes, he nods.

Taking my shotgun from me and replacing it with a smaller, and easily concealed handgun that he tucks into the back of my waistband.

"You're going to come back to me safe and sound," He almost orders, "Got it?"

I can't help but smile as I reach up to touch his chin, "Got it." I say before rising up on my toes to kiss him.

Making sure my gun was secure, I get ready to leave when Uriah gives me a reassuring pat on the back. "Don't worry, Nessie. We'll have your back, okay? Just stay safe."

I shoot him a grateful smile before emerging from our hiding spot.

Neither one Evelyn or Johanna seem to notice me until I'm within earshot of their conversation.

My mother's guard, shifts on his feet and moves like he's about to draw his weapon when he sees me but Evelyn holds a hand up to stop him.

"The factions took everything from me," She carries on her 'woe is me' routine, "I had to give up my life, my children. Everything."

"Right," I cut in, "That must've been so hard for you. So painful that you never even looked back once, right?"

"I had no choice-"

"I'm getting really tired of that excuse, Evelyn," I cut her off, "Look, I can understand why you left. What I don't understand is why after all this time and all these regrets you claim to have when it comes to Tobias and I, you're still choosing to go against us." I swallowed past the lump that was beginning to form in my throat, "Or is that just it? You love us, but only when serves you?"

"I'm doing this for you!" She exclaims.

"No, you're not! If you're willing to fight us to get what you want, at least have the balls to admit what it is. You want power. To take back what you lost in Abnegation, what Marcus took from you. But you know what the sad part is, Evelyn? That through trying to prove that you're better than him, you've ended up becoming just like him." I took a deep breath, "There's still time to change that. There are other ways to do this, we can come to an agreement. Don't let it end with something you won't be able to come from."

"I'm sorry, Vanessa." Her words make my heart drop, and the look in her eyes shifts to something flat and unfeeling. Footsteps approach from behind her as the Factionless fall into position with weapons at the ready and I immediately reached for my gun. "I know I said I would come alone, but I'm not Candor and I'm not Amity. So, I will lie and fight if I have to."

"See this scars?" Johanna pushes her hair back to show her face, "I wasn't born Amity, and I can assure you that I can fight for what I believe in."

Our guards fall in behind us as well and I immediately feel an arm coming around my waist before Eric pulls me behind him, acting as my shield.

"Last chance, Evelyn," I tell her, "There are other ways to do this."

"And if I agree," She starts and hope fills my chest, but I should've known better. Because as her eyes land on Eric, her next words extinguishes any last positive emotion that I was feeling for my mother, "On the condition that you hand my prisoner over, would you?"

My hands shake as I trained my gun at the enemy, "No," I say firmly, "Unlike you, I don't abandon the people that I love."

And just like that, despite all that we've done to try and prevent it, war has begun once again.