thirteen

My eyes fluttered open, frowning instantly at the darkness that greets me.

"Eric?" I called out into the endless void.

The only response that I receive is the echo of my voice that sounded through the space.

"Eric, where are you?" I tried again.

Nothing.

My heart slams against my chest so loudly that I could hear the pounding in my ears as I wandered further with no clue of what lies ahead.

"Eric?" Desperation was starting to feel my chest as I drew further from where I was only to be met by more darkness.

"Nessa?"

I freeze at the sound of the familiar voice. Convinced that my mind was playing tricks on me...Only, I hear it once again.

"Nessa? Is that you?" The voice asks again.

Tears prickled at the back of my eyes as I slowly turned around.

My gaze immediately catches on the headful of blonde hair that resembled a halo under the bright lights.

"Marlene," I breathed.

I squeezed my eyes shut, sending tears trickling down my cheeks.

My mind is playing tricks on me. That was the only explainable reason.

I gasped at the feel of a hand on my shoulder, peeling my eyes open once again.

"Marlene? It's really you?" I whisper, not willing to let myself hope.

She offers me a watery smile, "It's really me."

I couldn't help the sob that rips from my chest as she reaches forward to pull me into a tight hug.

"Marls, I-I'm sorry," I stuttered into her shoulder, "I'm so fucking sorry."

Marlene pulls back, wiping away my tears with her thumb. "There's nothing to be sorry for, Nessa. None of this is your fault."

"Yes, it is," I choked out, shrugging out of her hold, "How can you stand there and say that it's not when I'm the reason you've lost your life?"

A sad smile pulls at the corner of her lips, "You are the reason things turned out the way they did, Ness. You didn't ask for this war."

"No, but I could've stopped this-"

"You couldn't have," She cuts me off, "You need to stop blaming yourself for this, Nessa. There is nothing you could have done that could have changed this." She reaches up to cup my cheeks, "You are not a killer, Nessa. You're one of the best people I know."

More tears poured down my cheeks at her words, "I'm scared, Marlene," I admitted in a whisper, "I don't know how much longer I can keep being this fearless version of myself that I pretend to be."

"Nessa, don't you realise how much strength it takes to admit your fears?" She says, "You don't hide behind your fears, you face them. That's what makes you strong. Be kind to yourself, Nessa. Don't forget that, okay?"

I sucked in a gulp of air, feeling as if a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders just from talking to her.

Deep down, a part of me was aware that this wasn't real. But perhaps my oblivion was for the better because it almost felt as if I needed this.

Throwing myself into her arms, I held her tighter to me, knowing that this would be the last time I ever got to see her again.

"I miss you, Marlene."