Chapter 9 - Konoha's Will of Fire

Start from the beginning

I blinked dumbly for a moment, my brain taking a moment to register what she said. When it did sink in, my eyes went wide.

"Y-you're saying....I-I can....I can serve as a shinobi of Konoha??" I asked.

Tsunade sama smiled and put one hand on her hip. "Yes, you can. You have been here for two weeks already and I'm sure you know that the ANBU have been keeping an eye on you. We haven't found anything you do suspicious so we are planning to give you a chance to permanently reside in Konoha and be given the rights and status of a proud Konoha shinobi. Would you like that?"

Despite what she asked me, I found her words hard to believe. Perhaps this was a test. She would give me the chance to become a ninja here, trust me and even let me go on missions. But if there was even the slightest hint of a threat from my side, I would be got rid of.

Then again, I shouldn't be assuming things like this. What if she really did trust me? What if she was genuinely helping me have a better future? After seeing my past and watching my every move for the two weeks I was here, maybe they saw that I really wasn't someone who would hurt them in any way. I wouldn't – that I knew. Perhaps they had understood that as well.

"That would be great, Tsunade sama!" I smiled. "Well, I don't really know what I can do to help you and return the favor for healing me and allowing me to stay here but there is one thing that I can say for sure. I will protect the people of Konoha. I will do everything in my power to protect Konoha and the peace in this village even if it means putting my life on the line."

"It is as I thought....even though you are not a ninja born in Konoha, you have the First Hokage's Will of Fire running deep in your veins."

"Will of Fire?" I asked curiously, tilting my head to the side a bit.

"That's right." Tsunade sama spoke again. "On many occasions while I spotted you in the village, I have seen the look of determination and commitment to treasure and protect the people you love. Those who have the Will of Fire believe, cherish and fight to protect the village, the people in it and the peace just as the previous generations have done before them. I think you have what is needed to be a Konoha shinobi. That's why I am willing to give you a chance."

"Woah, those are strong words, Tsunade sama. You're making me feel embarrassed." I rubbed the back of my neck feeling a light blush rise on my cheeks.

"But it's a good to see that Tsunade sama trusts you enough to let you become a Konoha shinobi." Kurenai san voiced out smiling.

"Yeah! That's awesome! I wonder which team you'll be on though." Kiba said, bringing a fist to his chin in thought. "We all go on missions as four man teams and all of the teams we have now have four people. Is it okay if one of the teams has five people?"

"It will depend on how strong she is. I'm sure we can make an exception and include her on some team later on." Yamato san said nonchalantly.

"Then I hope she's on our team! I'm sure Akamaru will like it too, won't you, buddy?" Kiba grinned and looked at his ninja dog. Akamaru gave a gruff bark in agreement and was wagging his tail vigorously.

"That is something we will decide, Kiba. For now, why don't the two of you come with me? I have already arranged for a spar so we can see how strong Saya is and what rank she can be given. After that is decided, I'll think about which team you can go with on your first mission."

"Sounds good, Tsunade sama. I'm glad I finally get to do something." I said.

After saying goodbye to Kiba and the others, Yamato san and I followed Tsunade sama to another training ground that was several hundred meters away from the one that Kiba and his team were sparring. Gathered in the middle of the training ground were Kakashi san, Danzo san, an old looking guy with the Byakugan and three ANBU. One of the ANBU though wasn't wearing his mask and I observed that he had light brown hair and stern ochre colored eyes.