6 || The Paris Effect

(song: "No Other Way" - Sinead Harnett ft. Snakehips)

 Snakehips)

"I um. . . just wanted to come back and confirm things."

London was back seated on the couch in the receiving room of the pristine sorority house. She had a glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade in hand and stared down at her plate of short-bread cookies while she spoke.

Annabelle was the type of girl who sat with her legs crossed like a model at an audition. Everything about her from her wrists to her blemish-free ebony-skin made her look like a living piece of perfected art.

"Are you feeling conflicted?" Annabelle asked with  warm smile.

"Isn't there something else we could do to prove ourselves besides hurt some guy in the process? I mean, can't we race each other or a bake-off?" London asked nervously.

Annabelle reached out her hand to place it on-top of London's to calm her nerves. "I know that it can seem like we've made an unreasonable request, but there is a reason behind it that will only be discovered by the one of you that gets accepted. This isn't about tormenting and breaking some guys heart, alright?"

London nodded slightly.

Annabelle patted her hand a few times and then pulled back. "But. . . I sense that maybe this is about more than you being concerned about the task, maybe you're more concerned about liking him. If it will make you feel better, it would be impossible for you to have a future with him anyway. Trust me when I say that he would have to end it with you and leave you heart-broken."

That caught London's attention.

At first she thought this was all about getting a reclusive boys' sweater, but Dean didn't seem like he was anti-social from nerves. He had said he was used to people having bad intentions.

"I think you'd be a great addition to our sorority," Annabelle continued. "I'd really like to be able to explain more to you, but I can't. Next time we meet, it will either be with you holding the sweater or empty-handed. I really hope it's the former. . ."

London sucked in her lips and formed an awkward smile.

Annabelle and a few other members gave London half-hugs and wishes for her to do well. Before she knew what was happening she was outside the door and staring at the street.

There was no other option if she wanted to be one of them, she had to use Dean.

She touched the screen of her phone and let her fingers hover over Dean's name in her contact list. There was something kind of comforting about having his number. She texted out a message to him.

[Me: Hey, are you free tonight?]

She hit send and felt anxious waiting for his reply.

[Dean: I need to meet up with that girl who had my book. We can do something tomorrow instead.]