4 || Sound Reasons

(song: "Soulmate" - Mac Miller)

"You are officially a horrible human-being

"You are officially a horrible human-being. I warned you about joining the cult of the femmebot society, but do you listen to me? Of course you don't."

Connie scolded London as she paced the room wearing a fuzzy gray bathrobe and bunny slippers. Her hair was piled into a messy bun on-top of her head, and her team spirit shirt was visibly stained with spicy ramen noodle soup.

"You don't even question why you were given this kind of task instead of something with actual substance to it, like maybe reading to orphans or making cat toys for an animal shelter?" Connie continued.

"Look, I know it sounds horrible, and you are a-hundred-percent right; I should have asked questions, I should have wondered! I guess I didn't care, it sounded like a harmless task, just a few dates with a guy and get his sweater then I'd be set for life. You have no idea how important getting into this sorority is for me!" London whined and rolled against the surface of her bed.

Connie's side of the room was filled with various study materials. London felt a little jealous.

Connie could control her failure or success by studying, that wasn't the case for London.

"I'm not going into a field where good grades and graduating will help my career!" London admitted with frustration. "I'm going into a field where who you know is what matters. My mom works so hard as a waitress and she spent everything she could to get me here. She is in debt because of me and I owe it to her to make back everything she's lost as quickly as I can. So if that means that I have to dump a guy to get there, then yes, I guess I'll do that."

Connie scoffed and turned her back on London. She settled into her computer chair and stared intently at a screen of text to busy herself. Her fingers loudly ran across her keyboard and after a minute the noise came to a halt and she said, "You want to know something funny? You complain a lot about Paris, but the two of you are more alike than you know."

That was probably the worst thing Connie could have said to her. London stuffed a green canvas bag with clothes and books in an angry huff.

"What are you doing?" Connie asked.

"I'm not staying here tonight," London said while she soundly zipped the bag closed.

Connie looked concerned for her. "You don't have money, where are you going to go?"

"Why should you care if you think I'm such a horrible person?" London snapped and then realized that maybe Connie didn't deserve it. "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap like that it's just—never mind, I'll see you tomorrow. . ."

The minute the door closed she instantly was filled with regret. She really had no where to go, and no one to rely on. Why hadn't she worked harder to socialize with more people on campus than simply her roommate? She couldn't call her mother and worry her.