4

The wolf is in total control, switched into full protective mode. Every ounce of the normal Dimitry is pushed back at the moment. The halls are scarcely guarded, making any other wolves easily avoidable and this escape quite quick. MaeLynn sits on the wolf's back as he moves quickly through the forest, the fastest and quietest solution for their escape. She's directed him in the direction of her friend's hideout, stopping in a clearing nearby to finally talk to the human Dimitry. There's a few things she needs to tell him.

As he regains control and shifts, she doesn't hear him move. Though her eyes are closed, she uses her energy to finally see the wolf's soul. It swirls around in his torso, the colors beyond her wildest expectations. A rich gold with the same vibrant shade of blue as his wolf's eyes, so much brighter than any she's ever seen. He's truly powerful, now she knows to what extent. Only the most powerful souls have golden glows to them. Dimitry's is no glow, the holographic wolf is almost entirely made of golden beams.

He watches her sit in the damp grass, eyes closed. She is his mate, the bond already partially finished. He should've known, should've figured it out. There's no way a wolf would mark someone who isn't his own mate, his wolf knew who and what she is when he did it. Dimitry has no complaints. She is breathtakingly beautiful, stunning him in many ways. Long, curly hair the color of a darkened crimson flame, pale face dusted with a few freckles, truly amazing. Her scent is so powerful, intoxicating smell of vanilla and roses. He waits to see what color her eyes could bring to her already flawless face, but she keeps them closed.

"Why won't you open your eyes for me, mate?"

He can feel her like a film over his mind, strong worry and insecurity. The reason she hasn't opened them yet, she is afraid to tell him why. Whatever it is, he will never leave her. Dimitry wouldn't even dream of abandoning his mate, his light. He just needs her to understand this. She will never have to face anything alone ever again, not with him around. They've both been alone for far too long. He moves closer, sitting in front of her still form.

"Lynn, whatever you are afraid of, you can tell me. I will never let anything hurt you. I couldn't care less if your eyes are pink, or non-existent all together; you are perfect no mater what."

She hesitates slightly, but the tense muscles in her shoulders loosen slowly. Her slim hand reaches for him, seeking the comfort of his warmth. Dimitry wastes no time pulling his own up to hold hers. A feeling of déja vu fills him, reminding him of the time they told each other of their pasts. In his eyes, she is much calmer and more comfortable with sharing this information than she was then.

"As a rogue-born, the training was intense and I was sent into battle at a very young age. They are not-too-careful about who they send, many children never live to see their second war. I was four years old when they sent me out, a territory fight with another group of rogues. My eyes were damaged very badly. I was temporarily blind for months, but it came back partially."

Her hand shakes against his. Even the dimmest idiot would know the bad part was still coming. His mind wanders slightly to the 'partially' part of her story. Something must be wrong with her vision, though she's never showed any signs. She releases his hand and he lets her, watching as she moves it to touch just under her superimposed lashes.

"It's a pretty strange condition, almost complete color blindness. I've only ever been able to see the colors of wolf spirits and souls. I've been told my eyes aren't the same dark green they were before. I should have told you, but it never came up."

He sighs in relief. The way she was worried, he thought it was something much worse. Colourblind or not, Dimitry wont turn her away. He will protect MaeLynn for as long as he breathes. She is already his wolf's priority, the wolf would do everything for the one who stole his heart. He uses the fresh connection of their minds to coax her gently.