partial crush

Four hours and a stair trip later, you were on your way to lunch. Wirt walked beside you, telling you about how terrible the school lunches were and you nodded along, happy you would have a chance to just sit down and not listen to a teacher tell their life story for at least thirty minutes.  Speaking of minutes, you thought tiredly, how much longer would the school day be? it had already been what, four hours? Your poor brain wept over the thought of being at the school any longer than two hours more. The thought of sleep and dinner sounded wonderful, not necessarily in that order but the pleasantness remained.

" -But that's fine, it never really mattered to me anyways, " Wirt looked at you expectantly, pulling you from your thoughts. Owlishly, you blinked and searched for a way to save yourself from having to confess that ' No, I wasn't listening. I was too busy thinking about how much time was left in the school day. I'm so sorry Wirt, '

Today, it seemed, fate was kind (maybe a little too kind) and as you neared the cafeteria, Wirt quickly grabbed your hand. Your brain sputtered to a stop, and your mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water. His lips moved again ( you didn't hear him over your jackhammer of a heart ) and he pulled you along- weaving through the crowd skillfully. His hands were warm and sweaty, you noted, and oddly soft.

Somehow in the process of weaving, you had arrived at, what you assumed to be, the table. Among the few kids was Sara waving for you to sit next to her, along with Wirt. " You two take forever, " she teased, hands pulling out a Tupperware from her lunch box.

Wait!

Lunch!

Glancing to your bag, you sadly sighed. You forgot it, along with any money, at home. As sigh flew from your lips and your shoulders sagged, Wirt gave you a look crossed between worried and uncomfortable " What's wrong? " his hands searched inside the brown paper bag in front of him, pulling a sandwich bag filled with grapes into your field of vision. Your stomach groaned. " I forgot my lunch.. and money.. "
You whined out, thumping your forehead against the table with closed eyes.

" Here- " he spoke gently, placing a baggy of something atop your head. " I packed- um- a little too much. " His voice shrunk and you opened your eyes, bag sliding off your head weakly. Glancing up, you saw.. Half a sandwich! What!?

" I can't take half of your sandwich! What are you going to eat! " your voice cracked, and you gestured wildly toward Wirt. In return, he picked up his bag and flipped it, the contents spilling out.

Huh. Maybe you could take it.

And that's how it went. For three weeks Wirt shared his lunch with you. Your heart took a tumble every time he handed you half of his sandwich, or a few of his fruit snacks- and yeah, you felt like a toddler when the uncomfortable, but not unwelcome, squeeze shook your chest- but you were growing accustomed to it.

very short chapter but the next we goin Deep In Here
also, sorry for the year wait. please don't hurt me.