Moving Vans Actually Smell Pretty Bad

The night your dad left to get the van, you nearly cried sitting in your now empty room with your cat in your lap. His ears fluttered in annoyance, letting his distress known with a loud cry up to you. With a gentle pat to his head, he mewled once more against your hand.

" Me too, Henry. " You mumbled and picked said cat from your lap, plopping him beside you as you stood. Tugging your pajama shorts down into a more socially acceptable length, you grabbed your phone and headed into the living room.

Upon entering, the smell of take out filled your senses and you grinned. Your mother, knowing you would be sad, had ordered you take out to keep the tears from flowing-- or to at least allow you to cry into the sweet and sour chicken. It was the only thing that understood your feelings at the moment- with it being dead and you nearly dead inside.

A soft smile found its way to your lips as you picked up your take out box and sat on the couch- one of the only things not packed in boxes or shoved into the garage for easier access when your parents came home. As you chowed down on the food, you idly opened the Facebook app with a thought. Maybe you could find some of the students that you would be going to school with- for the sake of knowing who would be there of course. You weren't a stalking teenager looking for others to judge.

You quickly set to your task of finding others. The first person who didn't look like an adult was named Jason Funderberker, a silly name if you did say so yourself. He looked to be around your age, which allowed you to sigh in relief. No need to befriend a Senior if you wouldn't be in class with them. You glanced through his profile, send a friends request and moved onto the next teen. You chose to look at a girl named Sara- her last name was left blank on her profile. She was actually very nice looking and reminded you of your elder sister- whom of which was now in college. You skimmed through the many statuses through the slow bites of food you took and after what seemed like an hour, sent her a friend request.

This process went on for a little over an hour as you waited for your parents to return, and as soon as you finished your food you heard the garage door open along with the gentle voice of your mom. She must have gone with him after they got the food- explaining the lack of your mom's adorably loud singing as she packed the remainder of her and your fathers clothes.

When your mom entered the house you grinned, tossed your phone onto the couch cushion beside you and walking over to her. She was dressed in her pajama's as well and seeing as it was going to be a nearly 37 hour trip to Arizona it was only reasonable to be dressed comfortably.

" What took you guys so long? It's been like, two hours. " you smiled at her, leaning on her shoulder like a toddler. Upon your childish actions she laughed, shrugging you off and walked to your parents shared room. " Traffic. Who knew people would be out for a night on the town on Monday, of all weekdays. " She snorted out as she grabbed a box and handed it to you.

The weight of the box caused you to grunt- making your laugh sound more like a smoker trying to catch their breath. You waddled best you could to the garage, talking to your mom along the way. " Maybe you guys should have left at four like I told you. " you teased from the door.

Your dad stood in the open van and moved to the back of the moving van, When he opened it, a smell came from the back, like a mix of rotting veggies and a few gym shoes. You shoved the box in the truck and scurried away with a gag. " Whatever was in the van last better not leave with us- " told your dad with a choke. The only thing you could do was nod in agreement and retreat back into the house, safe from the smell.

Henry met you at your mom's bedroom door, and you gave the best smile you could down to the small cat- but the smell of the van stuck in your nose for a little while longer- longer than needed if you had a say in it- and you gave a small gag. The cat in reply stuck up his nose, trotting away in what you could only assume was an offended manner.

Your mom apparently saw your distasteful expression and laughed when she handed you the next box. " What's wrong, honey? Did the cat do something? " She said inbetween giggles. You shook your head and sluggishly made your way back to the garage door.

" The van smells like death, "

***

After the repeated process of grabbing a box and seeing how fast you could throw it in the van before that smell reached you, you finished packing all of the boxes with the help of your mom.

With a stifled yawn, you laid in the vacant living room with your cat on your stomach purring happily.

" Who are you riding with, kiddo? "

Oh, that's right. You could ride with your mom or your dad, but with that smell in the van, you quickly answered with " Mom. " at which your dad laughed. " I'd start getting Henry ready to go. Double check and make sure you don't forget anything. Wouldn't want to drive back as soon as we get there because you forgot a slipper. " he spoke from the fridge, taking one of the many bottled teas from  it and into his room to check with your mom.

You stayed on the floor for a while longer, petting the animal on your stomach lovingly. " Hey, Hen. You think you'll be able to get off'a me? You need to go to the bathroom before we leave. " You spoke to the cat like your child ( I mean he was basically. He just didn't come from you. He was adopted and that was okay. ) and moved to pick him up and carry him to the bathroom. He cried for a few moments, " It's okay, baby! I'm only doing this because I love you! " You told through the door and walked to your room to lay on the carpet. You knew you wouldn't forget anything, the bag in the living room was anything you wanted immediately in the car and those were the only things that really mattered.

So, without any hesitation, you fell onto your plush carpet for one last time, smiling at the nostalgic scent of detergent and a mix of your many perfumes. Basking in the smell, you slowly pulled your phone from the elastic of your cozy pajama shorts to continue your exploration of people from Aberdeen? Ablong? Aberdale. Aberdale was the name.

You did run into some more people, and now knowing a whole bunch of others- or knowing of them- you felt like you could walk into the school happily and maybe only have 1 panic attack instead of 2. Hurray! The school seemed small enough- not nearly as small as your own school, but it had only around two thousand students, leaving you an easier time to adjust to the move and the new school.

" Hey, kiddo! " Your moms voice came through the doorway behind you and you flipped to your back to look at her. " Why you napping? We gotta go. " She smiled, turning around to grab your cat from the bathroom.

When you stood, your lower back popped and you groaned, quickly picking Henry up before he could run to far. With his crate in the living room, you had to rush to get him into the thing before he decided to claw off your nose. Now having your demon baby in his prison, you lazily tugged it toward the garage door so you could easily bring it to the car once you put his litter box outside.

With a sigh, you moved to the bathroom to get his litter box.
***
The gentle hum of the car engine nearly had you fall asleep. It was so calming and you wanted nothing more than to sleep until you got to your new house.

You had only been in the car for thirty minutes and you were already ready to jump out of the window. Henry continually cried every ten seconds and your phone was buzzing with messages from friends wishing you a safe trip. The wishes weren't annoying- don't doubt that you enjoyed the happy messages from friends, but the constant vibration of your phone had you wishing you had no phone.

" Hey, babe? " Your mother sounded over the mewls of your cat. " You want to grab some coffee? "

You nodded but after realizing she couldn't see you, spoke a small, tired yes. You could hear her chuckle at your groggy mood. " You can go to sleep, I'll grab you a coffee so it'll be cooled down when you get it. "

Thankful for your mothers kindness, your curled up in the seat and dozed off against the window.

i promise next chapter is wirt time. this chapter was dragged out longer than needed so i apologize for the weird stretch.