Dots of Anxiety

The front door shut loudly behind you once you arrived home. Smells of veggies and broths wafted the air as you flopped on the couch, careful to avoid your sleeping cat. Your mother's voice gently called to you and you saw her peek around the corner from the kitchen.

" You were gone a while, almost missed dinner. " she smiled at you, turning around to grab your and her bowl of soup. " Your dad already ate, he's taking a nap. " she mumbled, shooing your cat to the end of the sofa so she could sit next to you.

Once the food was handed to you, you began eating with the occasional question from your mom.

" How was the visit to the kid's house? " She spoke quietly, spooning soup into her mouth. " Did you see the older one? "

" Wirt? Yeah, we talked a while. I told him I had to eat. " You shrugged and placed the warm bowl on the coffee table across from you. Your mother spoke up again, " What did you guys talk about? " she offered with a smile.

" I don't know, just about ourselves I guess. Found out about him and his brother. " You yawned out. How late was it? It had to be later than 8- " Anything interesting? Any juicy secrets we can whip out if he betrays the family? " You grinned sleepily at your mother, shaking your head. " Nah, he likes poetry and writing. Nothing really juicy. "

Her smile turned into a fake pout as she finished her soup. " That's a shame. I would have expected some sort of sweet secret from him. He looks like he would have some. " She told childishly. You shrugged at her comment, turning yourself so you could lay your head in her lap. With a glance down at you, she spoke.

" How upset would you be if I told you that next week you would be going to school? " Her mouth was slightly full of soup, making her sound like a child.

" Mmh, Not very. It'll give me time to settle in but I also won't get bored around the house. " You closed your eyes, and your mother took the chance to rest her empty bowl on your forehead. " I'll check the website and all and see if there is anything I need to pick up for you. Do you have school supplies from the other school? " You nodded, opting to change the topic.

" What time is it? " You yawned out, and your mother replied. " Around nine. You can go ahead and start getting ready for bed. Maybe tomorrow we'll go out and explore the town. " You could hear the excitement in her voice.

Slowly, you sat up and reached for your bowl on the coffee table. Might as well take it to the kitchen and give your mom a break. You have no doubt in your mind that she did most of the unpacking, not to throw your dad under the bus or anything. Maybe a little.

Once the plate was in the dishwasher, you dragged yourself to your room and nearly face planted in the pile of blankets and pillows.

The gentle pull of sleep nearly had you once you were comfortable, but the annoying buzz of your phone jerked you right out of it. Who could it be? Realization hit you like a train as you remembered who you had given your phone number to.

Wirt.

Coaxing yourself, you moved to grab your phone from your back pocket. It'll be alright, maybe he won't notice how jumpy and anxious you were when you left.

' Hey! You left pretty fast and i was making sure you got home alright!! '

Okay, he noticed that you left quickly. At least he knew you had dinner. Maybe he'll think you ran so you wouldn't be late. It was sweet that he was worried about you getting home alright, though. Made your stomach do a little flip at the thought that, oh, hey, this kid was worried about you.

You texted him back, a small smile on your lips and your anxiety swept away-- at least for the night. Tucked in the corner of your brain next to the embarrassing flutter of excitement of your heart. Get it together! You just met him! Imagine he has some sort of weird habit-- he bites his toe nails. That's it.