chapter seven

adjure 

verb | uh - joor | meaning - to command solomnly under or as if under oath or penalty of a curse. 

chapter seven 

Undermost circumstances, Beckett Jackson loved his job as a police officer. After Luke had made him clean his act up, get control of his wolf self, and found something to bring perspective in his life, Beckett had clung on to his job for dear life so he wouldn't spiral back into being the awful mess he once was. Having a reason to get out of bed in the morning that didn't involve him ending up bloody or wasted, or sometimes both, had been a refreshing change in pace of things. 

But today, Beckett was not so fond of the idea of going to work, because that meant having to be separated from Clary. After finding her again and seeing what was happening around her, leaving her in the hands of the Shadowhunter community was the last thing he wanted to do. Unfortunately, it was his only option. She would be relatively safe with the Shadowhunters. Plus, Beckett couldn't afford to lose his job. 

There was one good thing that came out of going to work, though. Going in meant Beckett had the chance to finally talk to Luke, who hadn't been answering his phone except to tell Beckett he couldn't talk at the moment. The behavior was completely out of character to say the least seeing as Luke had been willing to drop everything to take care of Beckett when he needed it in the past. Luke was the closest thing Beckett had to a fatherly figure anymore, and Beckett wanted to get to the bottom of the cold shoulder he was on the receiving end of. 

As Officer Beckett Jackson walked up the steps to his precinct, he tightened the black tie of his police uniform. One last time, he checked to make she he had his gun and other essentials as he entered the building. As mixed up as his mind had been lately, he really didn't want to come to work without something he needed and look like a fool. 

"Aye, Jackson!" Another officer greeted with a smile when Beckett entered the elevator to get to his floor. 

"Mornin', Burke," Beckett responded in his usual gruff voice, offering the other man a small nod. 

The elevator eventually let out a high-pitched ring, and the doors opened slid open so slowly, Beckett fought the urge to pry them open with his werewolf strength. Almost immediately, Beckett was able to find Luke, sitting at his desk filing through some paperwork like everything in there life was completely normal. Beckett was baffled at the sight. 

"Luke," Beckett called out. Luke didn't look up. "Lucian!" 

This time, Luke's head snapped up. The detective was greeted by the sight of the younger werewolf marching towards him, looking like he was on a rather determined mission. Luke let out a long sigh as a greeting. He looked incredibly worn out, which was yet another thing that concerned Beckett. 

Beckett stopped his march when he got to Luke's desk, looking around hesitantly before letting his eyes fall to Luke. "Can we talk somewhere?" Beckett asked, his voice somehow managing to get even deeper when he lowered it to a hushed murmur for one Luke's ears.