Chapter 3

Nara walked faster to the stall and her eyes instantly caught a glimpse of her sister Nayeon. "Eonni!" She called.

"Narong!" Her sister replied, earning a frown from Nara's face. Nayeon knew her sister didn't like that nickname but she kept calling her that anyway.

"Can I just call you 'Nayeon-ssi' instead from now on?" Nara sulked jokingly and made Haeun burst into laugh. "So...? The good news?"

"Ah, right. MBC is producing a drama next month and I had sent the proposal for brand endorsement. Earlier this noon, one of the staff contacted me and they said Halfmoon is in the shortlist." Nayeon explained brightly.

"Even by the sound that we got shortlisted I got goosebumps~ Right, Nara-ya?" Haeun poked Nara who was fazed and tried to grasp the great news.

"Ne? Uh, yes. Yes." Nara stared at her sister like she did something bad. "So, MBC?"

Both Nayeon and Haeun nodded in sync.

"Okay." Nara had her mind drifted in her memories. Of all TV broadcasting stations, they got MBC. One station she badly wanted to avoid.

"Right. I have to send the prototypes to the supplier. Do you want to come?" Haeun asked Nara. "You look down at some point."

"Nara?" Nayeon waved her hand in front of Nara's face.

"Ne?" She looked fazed and stared awkwardly at the two older girls. "I'm a bit tired. My recital is in December. I practiced a lot earlier today."

"Ah, okay. I'm going alone then." Haeun took her leave after putting on her coat and grabbed her hand bag. "See you girls later."

--

"Nara, I'm buying dinner. What do you want to eat?" Nayeon got up and put on her coat. "You need to eat. It's almost 8 pm."

"I'm fine with anything." Replied Nara weakly.

"Okay. Anything, then." Nayeon left as Nara got a text.

She took everything out of her jacket's pocket as the phone vibrated. Phone, keys, candy wrappers, and a small paper. She checked the text.

That man: Can we meet?

Nara almost fell out of the stool when she read the message. "What is he up to..?" She tried hard to ignore the text and cleaned up her pocket's mess. One small paper took her attention.

"It's today, isn't it?" She said to herself. "Ah, whatever. He probably forgot about this anyway. It's just some coins."

After some time, Nayeon came back with sliced sundae and two rolls of cheese kimbap. She put the plastic bag in front of Nara. "Here."

"Thanks."

It was almost 9 pm when Nara finished her food. She then got a text again.

That man: I'm in Dongdaemun right now. Can we meet?

She stared at her phone for a good ten seconds before she actually moved and stood up. "I need a fresh air."

"I bet you do." Nayeon chuckled. "Just go. Get some nice air."

"Okay."

She walked toward the same door she was waiting two days ago. Through the sliding door, she stood by the gachapon machines as no one was there. Contemplating whether to go out or not to go out, she bit her lip anxiously.

'Do I really want to meet him, after all this time?'

Nara thought and thought. But her longing to meet that person eventually won. She put her hands inside her jacket and clenched her jaws. "Okay. You can do this."

Her spirit was only two seconds old. Someone grabbed her shoulder from behind.

"Where are you going?"

She turned around. 'It's that tall guy with the gachapons.' She thought. He had a lollipop in his other hand. Obviously that he had been sucking that since a while ago.

"Where are you going? Don't stare at my candy." He put his lollipop away from her, as if she wanted to eat it.

"Pardon?"

He sucked his lollipop. "I mean. We're supposed to meet here, aren't we? Princess Bubblegum gachapon."

Nara sighed. "Ah. That small note. You were using an alias so I thought you were joking. Ck, can't you just pick other name than Johnny?"

"But that is my real name."

"Wh- really?"

He nodded and put his lollipop inside his mouth. "You're talking about alias names yet I don't even know your name." He sulked.

She extended her arm. "Nara. Park Nara."

Youngho stared at her hand before shaking it. "Youngho. You can call me that if you want."

"Why are you shaking my hand?"

"I thought you were-"

"My gachapon. I was asking for that." Nara cut him. She became more anxious as she wanted to leave that place and went to see that person.

"Okay. But I promised to buy you an ice cream. To pay your coins back."

"I don't have time for that." She said. "I'll be going then." She turned around and exited the front door.

"Wait, wait." Youngho walked faster and stood in front of her, blocking her way. "I don't want to have debts. I will pay your coins."

As Youngho was busy scooping his coins out, Nara got a text.

That man: I know you won't reply. So I had left the area. Text me when will be the right time for me to meet you.

"Really??? This jerk!" She suddenly yelled and made Youngho jumped in surprise.

"Wh-who? Me? Here, I have your coins..." He had five 500 won coins in his hand and handed to her slowly. "I'm not a jerk, you know..."

Nara stared at him. "You are. If you weren't here, I was..." She stopped her words. 'Should I really be there, meeting that man?'

"You were what?" He finished his lollipop. "I have returned the coins." Youngho's hand with coins inside was still in front of her. She had not taken the coins. And the gachapon was still with him.

She scanned him from head to toe. "Do you drink?"