I ignored the bird and tried walking forward, but it dived in front of me again. This time I nearly fell backwards over a vine.

"What is your problem, you crazy bird!"

The owl stared down at me with eyes that were glowing an unnatural red.

"So what now?" I yelled at the owl.

Its eyes studied me with an evil glare that sent shivers running through my body. This was undoubtedly an evil spirit.

I started to back away from it.

It lowered its head and leaned its body forward like it was getting ready to rush me again.

I panicked and then laughed out loud. This was a tiny owl, not a t-rex.

"You're just a dumb bird," I told it dismissively.

It opened its beak and replied, "Her soul belongs to me."

I froze and whispered, "What did you say?"

The owl opened its beak again and repeated, "Her soul belongs to me."

"Whose soul?" I asked numbly.

The bird didn't reply. Instead, it gave me one last withering look and disappeared high up into the jungle canopy.

I stared into the silent dark and wondered if I was truly dead?

Then, through the darkness came a voice of a man. "Sophie, wake up. Come back to me, my love."

He sounded desperate, as if his whole world would fall apart should I fail to come back to him.

"Come to me, Sophie. I will not live another night without you," he begged.

It was Casper. He was calling to me like a long-lost lover. Each one of his pained syllables was an arrow in my heart.

"I'm here," I called back to him, unable to withstand the agony in his words.

Suddenly, I felt a gentle whoosh of air into my lungs. Then my heart started to beat like a slow and steady.

My body was waking up.

I opened my eyes and saw his warm blue eyes staring down at me.

I was in my bedroom, in his arms. The lights were low, and the grey pantsuit was gone. In its place was a pale silk nightdress I'd never seen before.

At this point, the creeper/serial killer/ pervert klaxon horns and alarm bells were screaming in my mind.

"Casper?" I breathed.

"Sophie, my love," he smiled back at me.

"Get. The. Hell. Off. Of. Me," I snapped.

His smile immediately wilts from his face, and his grip tightens around my waist. My self-defence training kicks in, and with the heel of my palm I smash it into his nose.

Blood explodes everywhere, and he releases me to cradle his beautiful bleeding face.

I roll off the bed and run to my bedroom door. I yank it open and run into a solid wall of flesh. Nico is standing, arms crossed, filling the doorway. I back away from the door and glance at Casper on the bed.

"Sophie, please. Give me ten seconds to explain," he begs, holding his bloody nose.

"Not a chance. I'm not letting you or your buddies make a dress out of my skin and drink my blood," I yell, running to the bedroom.

"Sophie, darling, what are you talking about?" Casper pleads.

"I know you are a serial killer - I saw the blood in your cup," I snap.

"You're confused, my love. Please, let me explain," he asks.

I shake my head, and in a moment of stupidity or sheer determination to survive, I jump through the second-storey window.