Part II: Sidekicks

Start from the beginning

Trying not to be seen, Eli peered around the doorframe and into his room, squinting as he tried to make out things through the darkness. He cursed himself for not leaving a light on – even if it was a good way to save on electricity. It was with much panic that he managed to make out the shape of someone standing in front on his window, apparently shutting it as they stepped in.

His blood ran cold and his heart beat faster as he watched. Seconds seeming to be hours instead, dragging on as Eli pushed his body into action.

Finally, Eli managed to get his body to react to the danger he was possibly in. The man turned to shut the window, and that was when Eli burst through the doorway.

In later years, Eli would look back on that night and be grateful for the way things had turned out. He would also wonder how he could have failed to notice that his so-called weapon was a water bottle. As it was, at the time he hadn't really been all too aware of what was going on. One moment he was beating the supposed burglar over the head with a water bottle and the next, he was being tossed onto his bed. Eli scrambled up, attempting to get out of the bed. Suddenly, the lights turned on, making Eli blink furiously as his eyes adjusted to the brightness.

"Jesus! Do you attack everyone that comes in here?"

Oh. Eli knew that voice. He hadn't heard it in a while — didn't think he wanted to hear it again — but there it was.

"Matthew?" Eli didn't have to ask. He didn't think there were many other men who dressed up like comic book rejects. At least, he hoped not. "What the hell!? You scared the crap out of me!" Anger had always been easier to express for Eli.

"So you hit me with a water bottle?"

"I thought you were a burglar! I was defending myself!" Eli said.

"With a water bottle," Matthew pointed out with a deadpan look.

"Shut up," Eli snapped. He knew his ears were probably red and wished Matthew hadn't turned on the lights. It was only a moment later that Eli remembered that he was supposed to be wary of Matthew. After all, he'd been expecting the man to show up and exact his revenge for quite some time.

"W-what are you doing here?" he asked, wishing he could sound a bit braver. Matthew acted as though he hadn't noticed the slight tremor in Eli's voice, something Eli thought to be highly unlikely. Matthew was the type of man who noticed everything. It was a very irritating characteristic.

"Just thought we should have a chat," Matthew said, entirely too calm. He leaned on Eli's desk, arms crossed over his chest.

"Chat about what?" Eli already knew, of course, but he figured he might as well try to delay his oncoming doom. As nervous as he felt at that moment, he thought it was made worse by the grin on Matthew's face.

"Well, to be honest, I really wanted to ask you for a favor," Matthew said. Eli didn't know whether to be worried or relieved.

"I'm not going to tell anyone who you are," he said, because he was pretty sure that was what Matthew wanted. He sincerely hoped he was right. Just a moment later, those hopes were shattered.

"Oh, I know you won't," Matthew agreed, with a certainty that Eli should have expected. "Even if you did, I doubt anyone would believe you." Eli wished that weren't so true. Really though, who would believe some broke college student who made coffee for a living?

"Then what do you want?" Eli asked, not knowing what else Matthew could possibly ask for. The smile spreading slowly across Matthew's face should have been enough to tell Eli he wouldn't like what was coming next.

                                                           - - - - - - - - - -

When Eli pictured himself at this stage in his life, he'd always thought he'd lead a decent life. He'd work hard, go to school, and maybe even date someone if he found the time.