Artificial Geyser

"So.. How are we supposed to get up there exactly?" Scarlett asked, still looking up at the large crack that they were expected to go through. "Oh! Um.." Afis pondered this for a moment. "Great. Even you don't know how we're supposed to do this. That's just perfect." Crystal muttered. Afis glared at her but said nothing, still in thought. "Maybe we could use that geyser over there?" Everyone turned to Finch, even Crystal who was just going by the direction of his voice, and the winged boy's face got red from the attention. "It was just a thought." "A good one actually, kid." Afis said cheerfully. "Oh yes I think that would work out just fine, let me just prepare it. She rushed towards a nearby geyser labeled 'World's coolest geyser', leaving the teens alone. They were all in an awkward silence until Scarlett decided to speak up. "Uh, so, what's it like where you guys come from?" The two looked at her and Finch spoke up first. "Really big ravine, that's where I live. All sorts of folks, with all sorts of wings." "Just your luck you got stuck with bumblebee wings, huh?" Crystal sneered. The boy's face burned. "Oh yeah? At least I can see them!" She flinched and gently touched the shimmering gems jutting from her eyes before retorting. "I can still function without needing to see! And, my other senses are enhanced, so really I got the benefit here!" Scarlett sighed as the two bickered. So these were the people she was supposed to climb through the Earth with. Wonderful.

A few minutes later Afis returned. "Alrighty kiddos! The geysers ready let's get you all outta here!" Afis chirped. As the children began to walk towards the geyser, a faraway voice could be heard. "Do you hear that?" Finch asked "Yeah, it sounds like another guy screaming." Crystal said. "Alright everyone hold on." Afis ordered, halting the group. Suddenly, a person who seemed to be see-through fell out of the crack in the ceiling and crash landed onto the marshmallow. "ANOTHER child?" Afis sighed. "What, did your parents just dump you all in or something?" She grumbled, making Scarlett and the others uncomfortable. The see-through boy had curled up into a ball on top of the marshmallow, mumbling to himself, "I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead, I've died and now I'm dead." At this point Afis had just about had enough of these interruptions falling from the ceiling. She headed back over to the marshmallow, climbed on top, and flicked the kid.

"You're not dead." She grumbled. He glanced up then yelled and scrambled back, almost falling off. "WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!" "Oh my-" Afis face-palmed and looked over the edge of the marshmallow at the others. "You guys can head on over to the geyser. It's just some scaredy cat." "Hey..!" The scaredy cat in question tried to object but didn't follow through seeing as this mystery lady was probably right. Scarlett looked at Finch and Crystal, who simply shrugged and started heading towards the geyser once more. Scarlett hesitated, before heading back towards the marshmallow to help the 'scaredy cat'. After Afis had helped him down Scarlett looked at the new guy closer and realized that he wasn't just see-through, but he looked like he was made of glass. He looked at everyone warily. "What is this place?" "Center. Of. The bloody. Earth. Don't get too comfortable, you'll be leaving soon. By soon I mean now, so let's go." Afis began to walk back towards the geyser, not even looking behind her to check if the two were following. There was an awkward silence before Scarlett spoke up. "So what's your name?" The glass man hesitated before answering. "M- my name is Oswald, is this really the center of the Earth?" "Yep, but don't worry, we're gonna use that geyser over there to get back up to our homes!" Scarlett said trying to act positive. "Come on children we don't have all day!" Scarlett and Oswald ran over to the geyser and climbed in with Finch and Crystal.

"Wait, isn't this water supposed to be boiling hot or something?" Crystal asked, starting to get skeptical again. "Well you see, it's kinda an artificial geyser, I can change the settings like the temperature of the water or when it erupts with this controller!" Afis answered holding up what looked like a tv remote. "Oooof course you can." Crystal mumbled. Afis ignored her and started fiddling with the controls of the geyser. "Alright kiddos! When I press this button the geyser will erupt and shoot you all up to the 25th layer!" "Got any advice for us before we go?" Finch said. "Don't die." "Wow, thanks for the really helpful advice" Crystal intoned. "OK! Everyone ready? Great! Good luck!" Afis pressed the button and for a second nothing happened. "Uum, Afis I thought you said yo-" Scarlett was interrupted by a sudden rumbling coming from the geyser. "BYE!" Afis yelled before a sudden spout of water shot of the geyser, propelling the four screaming kids into the world above.