I knew the tradition of the staff, and knew that this dinner wouldn't be any different. Those bearing the cups bore shame in the eyes of the staff.

I spot Evan pouring drinks at the end of the table, and almost react, before catching myself. Before this was an inside hazing, but now with my king status, it felt a lot meaner than before.

I caught Ramos give a quick look over at Evan once, shake his head, then mind about his own business.

I glance over to Sarah in the corner, who is watching this like a hawk, an angry one at that. The head maid isn't the one who decides this task, no that's up to the cooks, who tend to be people pleasers. One of these people pouring drinks didn't deserve this in her eyes. Clearly it was Evan if anyone else's behavior was any indication.

The feast went on without much of a hitch and at the end of it I caught Sarah for a brief moment.

"What did those cup bearers do?"

"Everyone but one was caught trying to listen in on a meeting discussing strategy. Evan, the red headed one, his crime is completely different, just a rumor. People think he slept with Malick."

My eyebrows shot up. That was a high claim. To have a rumor go around that you cheated on your mate in itself should be career ruining. However, seeing as the castle only seemed to be upset with Evan, I was thrown off.

"Why are the angry with the new medic and not Malick then?"

"There's the fact that Malick is seen as untouchable to them. Then there's the public knowledge that he's a caster. They whisper about him being desperate and that he had to spell someone to get a chance with them."

"Impossible. If that was true, he wouldn't be alive." I say.

"Exactly. Roman would have his head on a pyre by now."

"Speaking of him, I need to go and invite him in on the meeting with King Dacre."

"He should be in his private study at this hour."

I nod, and go off to the east wing to find Roman.

I open the door to his study, and my hands flew to cover my mouth at the sight.

Roman, back to me, has a man pinned between him and his desk, in a heated lip lock. Shock made me stand frozen, watching as they pull away, the stranger's face coming into view. Evan's eyes fluttered open, and we locked gazes. In an instant, he shoved Roman away from him.

"Your Grace." he sputters, giving a bow, embarrassment flushing his cheeks.

Roman turns toward me, eyes wide.

"Noah, it isn't as it looks." the head guard states.

"What would Malick say to this." I question, gesturing between them.

"He'd be ecstatic." Roman answers.

I furrow my brows. There must be something I'm missing to this puzzle. When we'd left, these two had just gotten on good terms with one another.

Never thought I'd see them add someone else into their relationship.

"Evan, is Malick's second mate. It'll come as no surprise to you that I've come to some near death experiences. After you both were gone for some time, a small rebellion broke out in the village square to our east. My men and I went to go see what it was about, and upon seeing it was against the crown, we got involved. Soon some scattered, not wanting to be tried for treason, but those that remained weren't unarmed. Three of them nearly had me meet Hades. Malick, of course, nursed me back to health, but I assume some sort of anomaly occurred. His soul was no longer fully tied to mine, it sought out another. We didn't know it yet. Not until Evan came along for his transfer to our medical staff. Even then, I didn't know about it until more recently."