Chapter 25: Fall Gathering

Start from the beginning

She had never asked him about what he wanted. The song ended, and since she didn't move off the floor, he kept dancing with her as the next one started up. "What do you want to do?"

Luke's chest rose and fell as he took a deep breath. Her nose practically ticked his chest as he did this, and she resisted the urge to lay her head on him and listen to his heartbeat. She knew he wouldn't mind, but he would take it the wrong way.

"I want to stop people from doing what they did to my family. I don't go after those facilities for the Fey to find out if there is a threat. I do it to save those people. I can't sit around and be okay with duds," he said the word harshly, "like my mom being used or even wizards being hurt. They're all family. All people. They deserve better. Especially when the other Fey sit around and let it happen. Or have parties, oblivious to what's going on a few hours away from their safe havens."

Julie put a hand on his chest, unable to help herself. He sounded so angry. The emotion was so raw. He stopped dancing, holding still in the sea of people swirling around them. She looked up at him, and he gazed into her eyes. His head started to lower, and instead of feeling like running, she leaned into him on her tiptoes, unable to stop herself. Their lips touched, and their chaste kiss turned more heated as he pulled her toward him, making her gasp as he deepened the kiss.

"No!" She dimly heard someone scream behind her right before she was pulled apart from Luke. She looked around, confused after feeling like she had melted into Luke, and stumbled and fell backward. She fell to the floor, and no one bothered to check on her.

"What?" Julie shook her head, trying to figure out what happened, but she was woozy. The connection between her and Luke had hit her hard.

Screams came from all around. She tried to settle her gaze on people as they rushed by. Jamie pulled someone toward the doors, not even looking over at her. Her eyes narrowed on the beautiful face of the girl trailing behind him, her brown hair flying behind her.

Melissande?

Julie blinked up her other sight and saw swirls of blue around the girl. She wasn't supposed to be able see someone using their powers—no one could—but she could see energy coming off of her in waves.

What was she up to?

She didn't have time to worry about Melissande though. The floor cleared, and two men stood a few feet from her—Luke and Rory. Potted plants pelted at Luke. They burst in the air as he zapped them before they hit him.

"Rory, stop!" She screamed.

His face was raw with panic. "You're mine!"

Julie shrank back at the possessive look in his eyes.

"She wanted to kiss me!" Luke yelled back. "Get over it."

"Stop. Just stop!" Both boys glanced at her but then focused back on each other, their faces wild with anger, almost like they were past thinking. Was she the only one who saw that they'd lost control? Wasn't anyone going to help?

Julie glanced off to the side. Four council members stared at them. All wore frowns, but they didn't make a move to stop Rory and Luke. She glared at them, her hands in fists. They were letting this happen.

She looked back. Luke's bolts were more powerful than she remembered the last time this happened at the coffeehouse. Rory didn't seem to be tiring either.

The council wanted this. But what if they went too far?

Rory dodged a bolt, it hit a pillar, and the roof shook above. He made larger, tree–sized pots fly toward Luke, grinning as they exploded, pelting Luke with dirt. One of the pots hit another column, and the ceiling shook again. A pane of glass cracked above. The council looked up with a frown.