Him

(AN: In one of my classes, my professor gave us an assignment to write a poem using metaphors to describe the parts of a person. This poem is based off of a poem we read in class called Not The Furniture Game by Simon Armitage. Look up the poem, the metaphors he uses are very eye opening and even alarming, but still a good poem. Thanks, and enjoy.)

He is a broken society.

His hair is the dark, silk drape that hides young innocent faces from public.

His forehead is the scarred and pained people.

His eyelashes are the lost beauty of the culture.

His eyes are dried out wells from a drought long ago.

His nose is an arched stone bridge amidst a dry valley.

His mouth is a smooth river that flows with dirty water amongst rocks that formed along the banks.

His whistle is the sound of a missile falling from an airplane.

His jaw is the barrels of the guns that jolt back from impact of fire.

His bite is the pop and crack of weapons being fired in the background.

His neck is the cement pillars that support the crumbling temples.

His shoulders are the rock and foundation of the buildings.

His arms are the backs of men that slaved for many years before.

His muscles are the bravery of the people.

His hands are the grip of the soldiers desperately holding onto their weapons.

His fingers are a wheel lock, always prepared to ignite the firearm.

His chest is the bullet proof vests that are strapped to the men’s bodies like they are glued to them.

His stomach is an empty basin.

His navel is the whole left in stomachs from hunger.

His thighs are the cattle and horses that pull along the heavy carts and machines.

His knees are the helmets of the soldiers.

His shins are the pride of the men. His feet are what the government is built on.

His toes are the reason it fell. His footsteps are the sound of war.

His heart is the revolution. His brain is the fear. His smile is the only glimpse of hope.

He is a place that has suffered, and rebels against the government even if it destroys everything else.