Chapter Ten

Sierra's POV
                        I stood to the right of my father, Peter on the other side of me. I tried not to think about what I knew was going to happen soon. Peter and his siblings would have to go back to their world again. I blinked back tears as my father stepped back, creating the portal in the tree. I looked at Peter, who caught my eyes, giving me a weak and watery smile. He slid his hand into mine, squeezing gently, and I choked down a lump in my throat. I didn't even hear what anyone said, and I watched as Miraz's widow, son, and one of his generals went through. Then, a roar went up from the crowd there.

      "This is treachery! He has killed them!" Then, Reepicheep spoke up.
       "Your majesty, if it can be of any help, I will take eleven mice through without delay." My father slowly shook his head, and I heard Peter take a deep breath.
        "We'll go." He choked out, refusing to let go of my hand.
       "We will?" Lucy asked, shocked, and Susan nodded.
      "Our time's up. It's time for us to go home." Peter released my hand, reluctantly, and went to Caspian, handing him his sword.

       "After all.....we're not really needed here anymore." Caspian accepted it, looking him in the eye.
       "I will look after it until you return." I squeezed my eyes shut, bracing myself for what was about to be said.
       "That's just it. We're not coming back." Susan said, and there was a gasp from Lucy.
       "We're not?!" I opened my eyes, feeling Peter's hands on my arms.
       "You two are. At least.....I think that's what he meant." My father bowed his head.
        "Your brother and sister have learned all they can from this world. And.....Sierra has learned something from your being here." I looked at him, swallowing another lump.

       "Father......What about what just happened? Is there no way he can come back ever?" I asked, gesturing to my hand with the ring. He smiled slightly, nodding.
        "There is. It just may not be the way that you are expecting. But he will come back." I nodded slowly, and the four of them started to say their goodbyes. I also saw Edmund and Cahira having a tearful discussion, but she nodded at something he said. He kissed her forehead, and she took a deep breath. Then, Peter came back over to me.

      "Sierra, this isn't the end. I'll see you again, I promise. I'll come back." I smiled slightly, looking up at him.
       "I've waited this long. I think I can make it a little longer. And....Peter? Can we not say goodbye this time?" He smiled, nodding slowly.
       "Alright then. Sierra, this is not goodbye. It's just a see you later." I smiled, and before I could say another word, he kissed me. We pulled back after a minute, and smiled. I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him, and he kissed the top of my head. I let go, stepping back, and he stood with his other siblings. Then, Susan went over to Caspian, and then talked quietly for a minute. She started to come back, but then went back to him, and they kissed.

       "I'm sure when I'm older, I'll understand." Lucy said quietly, and Edmund chuckled.
       "I'm older, and in some ways, I don't think I want to understand." I laughed quietly, and they started through the portal. As Peter went through, he caught my eyes, smiling, and I returned it. They went through, and soon, all the talking around faded to a murmur, as I blocked it out. Later, the portal closed, and my father watched me quietly.

       "Come with me, dear one." I followed him, and we walked around the courtyard once again. It was quiet at first, but then my father spoke.

       "I know how much you love Peter, daughter. He will return soon. It will not be as long as you think." I looked at him, confused.
        "What do you mean?" He chuckled slightly, almost nuzzling my hand.
        "He helped you learn how to love again, Sierra, and I will not take that from you. He will return soon. I promise." I smiled, changing into my lioness form, and snuggling close to him.
       "Thank you." I whispered. My father always kept him promises, and I knew this one would be kept as well. It just might not be exactly how we planned or expected, but it would happen. I just had to trust him that he would bring Peter back........Until we were to meet again.