Never Again Chapter Two: The Sister

Start from the beginning

"You see, I'm a history teacher so anything connected to it fascinates me, especially when it concerns the history of our town." He explained.

"How nice." Clare remarked, eyes studying his face intently.

Damon eyed the three from the bar, instantly recognizing the look in Clare's eyes. It looked like he was going to have to warn Alaric off otherwise Jenna would have a dead boyfriend. Though it would be amusing to watch Alaric attempt to stake a vampire as old as Kayla.

"It must be hard, being a part time vampire hunter." Clare said casually, causing Alaric to tense and Kayla to roll her eyes.

"I don't know what you mean." Alaric spoke in the same friendly tone as before except now there was more than a hint of caution in his eyes as he looked at the two, as if he was already planning his next move.

"Of course you don't." Clare smirked before leaning close enough to whisper near his ear. "Cause us no harm and I promise you we won't cause you or any innocent citizen any." Clare wanted to hurry up and help Damon and then get the hell away from Mystic Falls as fast as she would be able to. Animosity from Alaric would only complicate things.

"I think that's enough, Sis." Kayla stated, sarcasm thick when she spoke the last part.

Clare rolled her eyes before looking over at Damon who appeared to be making fun of her.

Alaric watched the brunette narrow her eyes at someone before sticking her tongue out at the person. Warily, he followed Clare's gaze to the smirking Damon. Instantly, he came upon a conclusion. "You know Damon."

Clare turned her gaze back to Alaric. "And apparently so do you."

"The question is…friend or foe?" Alaric remarked, looking at the woman intently.

Clare arched an eyebrow. "I am definitely not your friend…but I'm not your enemy either. You stay out of our way, we stay out of yours."

"I mean," he said slowly, "are you a friend of Damon's?"

"Unfortunately. Otherwise we wouldn't even be in this backwater town." Kayla muttered under her breath.

Clare glanced at her. Considering I grew up in this "backwater town" a thousand years ago…

Kayla sent her mother a smirk.

"Did I hear someone say my name?" Damon inquired smugly as he made his way over to the three. "Were you talking about me?"

"Actually, yeah we were." Kayla said smirking at him. "We were talking about what a pain in the ass you are."

Damon glanced at her with an amused look. "Quiet, little girl. The grown ups are talking."

Kayla's eyes narrowed at his condescending tone. "Watch your tone around me, baby vamp. I could snap you in half if I wanted to."

Damon arched an eyebrow at her challengingly. "Go ahead. I dare you." He crossed his arms, a smirk on his lips.

Clare watched this going on with a bored expression on her face. Glancing at Alaric, she said with a shrug, "They hate each other."

"Really? I couldn't figure that out myself." He remarked sarcastically.

Clare looked at him briefly. "Do we have a deal?"

"As long as neither of you go on a killing spree." Alaric responded after a moment.

Clare smiled. "Alright then. And don't worry, hopefully we won't be in town too long." Turning to the other two who were still bantering, Clare rolled her eyes. "Enough flirting you two."