Never Again Chapter Two: The Sister

Začať od začiatku

"At the moment, nothing because I want to enjoy getting drunk and ignore all the crap going on."

"I second that." Clare murmured as she downed her glass before ordering more.

"So how've you been?" Damon inquired, leaning forward onto the bar counter as he turned sideways slightly so he could look at her.

"Alright." Clare replied.

"Just alright?" Damon smirked with an eyebrow raised.

"Yep. Now let's hurry and get drunk before Kayla comes back and declares that you're a bad influence on me."

"Quite the role reversal, huh?" He grinned before downing part of his drink.

"Tell me about it." Clare laughed quietly. Her grey blue eyes softened. "She's a good kid. She worries too much about me, though. She needs to live her own life, not spend every waking second worrying about me. It's as if she thinks I'm a piece of glass that's going to break." Clare took another long drink from her bourbon, her eyes looking to the side as if in thought. "I think I would, though, if anything ever happened to her." Kayla was the only thing holding her together. Without her, Clare had nothing.

"And I'd be the one who'd pick up the broken pieces." Damon said after a minute, flashing his friend a smirk.

Clare rolled her eyes. "Who are you and what have you done with my asshole friend?" Honestly, though, Damon was the only person besides Kayla whom she would ever allow herself to depend on. She trusted no one but them.

Damon's eyes roamed the Grill and he smirked at what he saw. "You might want to stop Kayla."

Frowning, Clare followed his gaze to the far side of the Grill where Kayla was talking to a man with shaggy hair. She presumed that he was her daughter's target. "Why?"

"Because one, he popped full of vervain and two, he's the local vampire hunter." Damon smirked. The smirk grew when Clare was almost instantly on her feet, already beginning to go over to her daughter.

"Mommy to the rescue!" Damon called after her.

"Shut up!" She growled back annoyed, flashing him her middle finger before hurrying to the other side while still maintaining to appear inconspicuous.

Kayla looked over and blinked as she saw her mother walking towards her and her target, Alaric. Clare sent her daughter a sharp warning look before projecting her thoughts into her daughter's head, He's on vervain! All witches could project their thoughts into the mind of someone with their bloodline flowing through their veins. However, even then it still took a powerful witch to accomplish this.

Kayla looked at her mother surprised. She sent her a questioning look to which Clare answered with a slight nod. Well, Kayla thought, this sucks.

"I'm Kayla's sister, Clare." Clare introduced, holding her hand out to Alaric with a fake friendly smile. The sister excuse was what they used most often considering people would begin to get suspicious if they claimed that Clare was Kayla's mom since Clare only looked a few years older than the female vampire.

"Alaric Saltzman." The man introduced, shaking her hand with a smile. "Your sister here was just telling me about her family necklace."

"Is that so?" Clare remarked brightly through gritted teeth. She looked at Kayla. "Yeah, the necklace is made of lapis lazuli and has been in our family for generations."

Kayla closed her eyes, inwardly wincing as she realized that if Alaric was on vervain, he obviously knew about vampires. By showing him her necklace, she had screwed herself over big time.