4: (Al-Nisa')- Women

Start from the beginning

•If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess, that will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice.

•And give the women (on marriage) their dower as a free gift; but if they, of their own good pleasure, remit any part of it to you, Take it and enjoy it with right good cheer.

•To those weak of understanding Make not over your property, which Allah hath made a means of support for you, but feed and clothe them therewith, and speak to them words of kindness and justice.

____

Lessons

– Everything that the Prophet sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam taught is guidance for us.We cannot say it was only relevant for those times. It's still valid today.

– If a person makes an incorrect judgment or goes against Shari'ah due to lack of knowledge then he is not blameworthy as compared to the one who possesses knowledge yet opposes the teachings of Rasoolullah sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam. For example, shirk. Grave worshiping is shirk. Many people do it out of ignorance. They don't have the knowledge that the Prophet sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam never taught us to seek help from dead saints. No one has corrected them ever. If people are doing something wrong out of ignorance or lack of knowledge, we cannot call them mushrik or kafir because the condition is min baAAdi ma tabayyana lahu alhuda i.e. after guidance has become evident to him.

But if a person after learning the truth still persists in following the wrong path because it was their forefathers' way then this is deliberate opposition to the Message of Rasoolullah sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam.

Our duty is not to pass judgment or declare fatwas of kufr on others but to politely guide them to the correct way. The way of the Prophet sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam and the way his Companions understood and practiced.

– The words waman yushaqiqi alrasoola teach us the obligation of obeying the Messenger sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam. Many people say that Qur'an is sufficient and there's no need to follow the Sunnah. But when they say this, they are opposing this very ayah.

– When a person leaves the way of the Prophet sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam and the way of believers, he is not on the deen of Islam anymore. Anything that we do in our deen is from the Qur'an, the Sunnah and the way the Companions practiced it. There are people who proof the continuity of Messengers after Prophet sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam when the Prophet himself certified there is no Messenger after him. These people argue leave the Sunnah whereas the sahabahs fought those people who claimed continuity of Prophethood. These people are not only contradicting the Qur'an, opposing teachings of Rasoolullah sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam, deviating from the practice of sahabah radhiAllahu anhum but worshiping their own whims and desires. It's an innovation in deen and not the Islam that the Prophet of Allah brought to us. Anything that you term as deen has to have evidence from the Qur'an, the Sunnah or the way of the Sahabahs.

– The way of the believers is the way of the Sahabahs and the Salaf. We cannot innovate things in our deen. We have to see how our predecessors practiced it, the ones who learned first-hand from the Prophet sallAllahu aalyhi wa sallam himself. This is true for every single thing that we do. For example, the issue of hijab. Some people argue it only means wearing modest clothes, or modesty is in the eyes and you don't have to hide your hair or cover up properly. This is an incorrect interpretation. Surah Nur properly explains what hijab means.