I Have To Go Back

"What the hell are you talking about?!" Fear ran rampant through my body even as something within me simultaneously relaxed, when he said werewolf. Not another word, I didn't want to hear another word. "Shut up, SHUT UP AND GET OUT! "GET OUT!!"

I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think and what was worse was that the weird sensation of pins and needles that was beginning to crawl up through me. "Nikki, we have to talk! You are part werewolf and I know how it happened."

Shaking my head I tried to push down the sensation, "you need to leave, I need you to leave." "Nikki..." I pointed at the door. "Get the F-OUT NOW!!"

"Can you stop being so stubborn-" The growl from before ripped through me again and I wanted to pounce but not to hurt him. There was a feeling I couldn't explain. What I did feel was scared, I was growling like a damn animal.

Josiah threw his hands up in surrender, swallowed his male pride, and backed away. "Okay, Okay. When you are ready to talk give me call. Here is my number." With a flick of the wrist he threw a card on the table and turned to walk out.

"You are in a lot of danger, love. I just want to keep you safe."

"I can take care of myself, Josiah. I don't need you. Not now, not ever!"

As soon as I heard the front door close all the strength in my body drained away and I sagged aimed to the floor. Tianna was barely able to catch me, before I hit the floor, and help me lean onto the kitchen stool.

"Nikki, Nikki! Are you okay? What was that!?" That was a good question. What was that? I didn't miss the fear in her voice or the way she kept darting looks at my throat trying to figure out if she had really heard me growl like an animal. I remained quiet. I had no answer for her.

"What was Josiah talking about?" With a ragged sigh, I looked up at my friend and shook my head. "I don't know, and I don't care. You know, as well as I do, that he can't be trusted. A werewolf...really? What am I, a character in a sci-fi novel?!"

I tried to put her mind at ease, but the fact is I had just growled like a damn character in a sci-fi novel. This was getting out of hand! I drew a quick breath and squelched down the growing fear in my stomach. I looked over at T and tried to decide if I should tell her what the doctor told me yesterday.

Tianna seemed to sense my reluctance to say anything else because she suddenly wrapped herself around me in a fierce hug. "I don't care what you are Nicolette. I just care that you are safe and healthy." It was exactly what I needed to hear.

With a wry smile, I tried to figure out where to begin, "It isn't good T. Something is happening to me, and the doctors have no idea what it is."

"What do you mean they don't know what it is? They are doctors, right? What did the tests show?" The aggrieved look on her face was a well needed balm for my soul.

Watching her face, I continued "The tests were all inconclusive. My red blood cells are dying and being replaced by mutated ones that are so dense, not even the strongest microscope can see beyond the surface. There is something seriously wrong with me, and I think the only people who can help me are my parents."

She exploded into a hot molten pot of fury, "Are you crazy?!! No! You can't go to them! Did you forget what they did to you as a child?! Oh. My. Goodness, Nikki! No, just NO! You just can't; those people are insane oh- call Josiah! I would much rather you ask him for help."

"Josiah is out of the question! I don't trust him. As for my parent's I know how you feel about them, hell this is like my nightmare becoming a reality. but what choice do I have, I distinctly remember my father saying that I was one of kind and they are scientists, so that's why I have to go home. They knew what was going to happen to me. That was probably what all those tests were about." I sent her a pleading look even as she shook her head in anger and disbelief.