Chapter 5: The Deer and The Doe

Start from the beginning

"Sure," she said. "What for?"

I shoved the letter into her hand, reached into Hermione's bag and pulled out a piece of parchment and her red quill. I used the remaining ink inside Ron's bottle and began to write.

Harry, 

Yes, the Free Period is just fine. I didn't have any plans. Come to think of it, seeing you during Free Period was my backup plan. Anyway, I'm perfectly fine with the schedule change. See you then. Don't be late! 

Cassidy

I blew on the wet ink until I was sure it was dry. Hermione had just finished reading Harry's letter. She nodded her head at me and took my letter, handing back the other letter in return.

Ron finally came back downstairs. His eyes still looked tired and droopy.

"C'mon," said Ron, "I'm hungry."

"Is that all you think about, Ronald?" Hermione asked. "Food?"

"No!" he replied quickly. "Not all I think about!"

I turned my attention to Ron and mouthed, "I think I know what else you think about!" I nodded my head towards Hermione. Ron gave me a responding wink.

"Cassidy," said Hermione, "could you head downstairs and get us some spots at the table?"

"Sure," I replied, raising my eyebrows up and down at her. She stuck her tongue out at me.

I tossed the hood of my robes over my head and walked out the portrait hole, but not before I heard Hermione's voice say to Ron, "Listen, Ron, about that Hippogriff essay..." but the portrait closed behind me before I could hear anything more.

I found five empty seats and sat in one of them when I reached the Great Hall. A small plate of bacon, eggs and toast sat before me with a small goblet of orange juice. It was then I realized how hungry I was. I grasped my fork in my fist and plunged into my breakfast.

It wasn't until about twenty minutes later that Ron and Hermione came into the room. They were laughing and talking and, believe it or not, holding hands! Ron leaned over and kissed the top of Hermione's head and she smiled.

It's about time!

"I was starting to worry," I said smugly as they sat down in the chairs in front of me. Hermione blushed. Ron winked. "Did you leave the letter, Hermione?"

"Yes," she replied. "In fact, I think I heard him coming downstairs when we were leaving, so I'm pretty sure he'll get it soon."

"Thank you so much, Hermione!" I said. "What would I do without you?"

"Always here to help," she said. "Especially you, best friend!" My smile broadened.

"Well, look who it is!" said a slick voice from behind me. I turned around. Biggest mistake I ever made.

"We got Little Ms. Mudblood, the Newbie Gryffindor and one of the Gingers!" laughed Malfoy. "Hey Newbie, where's your boyfriend Scar-Head?" He jabbed his finger at my shoulder.

"Shove off, Malfoy!" growled Ron. "I'm pretty sure you don't want to get into trouble again."

"Yeah," I said. "I heard you got detention for a month."

"Two months," he grumbled, "and I have to clean up after that great ugly brute of a Hippogriff owned by that bloody half-giant!"

"You deserve what you've gotten," said Hermione. "You deserved a kick in the face from Cassidy and a punch from me! I'm surprised your bloody nose hasn't fallen off yet!"