Chapter 5: The Deer and The Doe

Start from the beginning

I randomly began scratching the back of my scarred-for-life neck. And then, a thought crossed my mind.

As much as I wanted him, the thought of it being too dangerous for us to be together was the top issue I feared. But honestly, how should I know?

He was Harry Potter, a boy protective of his friends. I knew he wouldn't put me in harm's way, but I was sure of one thing.

He'd put himself in harm's way for me.

What more could I ask for? 

I slept soundly that night. The soft, distant hoots of the owls in the Owlery were like a soothing bedtime lullaby. I awoke to the sound of Hermione gathering up her books and stuffing them into her bag.

"Don't you think it's a bit early to be doing that right now?" I asked drowsily.

"Just like being ahead of schedule," she said with a perky smile on her face.

"You never change, Hermione," I said as I got up from my bed and gave her a hug. She hugged back.

We both dressed in our uniforms together and descended down the deserted stairs to the almost empty Common Room. Ron was slumped on the couch, fast asleep, with pieces of parchment on the ground, one of them titled, "Hippogriff History". His ink bottle was dripping tiny drops of ink onto the carpet like black rain.

"He spent the night down here," Hermione explained. "He's been working on that essay for days, bless him."

"It's just so sad that he doesn't know," I said.

"...that the assignment was cancelled!" finished Hermione. We started giggling uncontrollably. We laughed a little louder than we'd meant to, so we ended up waking Ron.

"Oi," said Ron drowsily, "what are you two giggling about?"

"Oh, nothing you'd be interested in, Ronald," said Hermione, winking at me.

"Are you ever going to tell him?" I mouthed.

"Yeah. I'll tell him when he hands it in to Hagrid!" she mouthed back.

"That's not what I was talking about," I said. "I was talking about...you know." I took both my thumbs and index fingers and made them into a heart.

"All in good time," she replied. I nudged her in the ribs and started humming the K-I-S-S-I-N-G Song.

Ron walked slowly up the stairs, rubbing his eyes and yawning loudly. Just as the two of us were about to walk out the door, Hermione stopped dead in her tracks.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I just remembered," she replied. "Harry gave this to me earlier this morning to give to you."

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small scroll with my name written on it. "He said it was important." I took it from her and unrolled it.

Cassidy, 

This is important, so I hope you get this as soon as possible. I hope this doesn't interfere with anything you may have going on, but I just received an owl from Oliver Wood, captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch Team. An emergency Quidditch practice has been scheduled to take place after tonight's evening meal. I was hoping that instead, we could meet during our Free Period after History of Magic. Please write me back a response and give it to Hermione. She'll pass it on to me. Hope to see you soon. 

Harry

I smiled to myself. I'd get to see him earlier than planned!

"Could I borrow some of your parchment and your quill?" I asked Hermione.