Chapter 17: Death By Dramatic Irony

Start from the beginning

"Let go of me!" I smacked his arm playfully.

Leo looked around before reaching over the table and grabbing another chip. "Someone wants a chip," he said in a baby voice.

My tongue lit on fire again before I could react. Giving Leo a long, mean look, I wriggled out of his arms, with a quick, "I'll be right back, jerk," and a smile. I turned, and padded the tiled floor as quickly and discretely as I could, until I spotted a glass container of water in the hands of waiter.

"Jalapeño's!" I shouted at them, waving my hands towards the container to give it to me. The guy looked up with a startled look.

Jose, read his nametag.

He said something in Spanish to me. I shook my head, not knowing what to say. He handed me a plate of nacho's he had on his serving tray and set the jug of water down.

My eyes went wide. I shook my head. He persisted to hand me the nacho's. "Si, si, muy bueno! Estan muy caliente senorita!"

Caliente? That sounds pretty good... I shook my head. He was smiling just like Leo. Clearly they were trying to feed me something spicy!

"I don't want Jalapeño's," I said slowly, as if he would understand me easier.

He held up the plate.

How do I say no in Spanish?? I started to act out in charades, putting an invisible glass to my lips. I began to jump up and down and point to my tongue, not caring who was watching. The waiter continued to stand between me and the container of water.

"Please!" I shouted, jumping up and down and pointing to the water. The waiter of course didn't move and just stared up at me.

I reached behind him for the water. His hands were on the jug within five seconds. We looked at each other before we started to pull at the water like a tug-o-war. And let me tell you, that little Spanish man could really get some pull on the water!

"No! No, Senorita!" The waiter screamed at me.

No? He speaks English?

I turned around to see that Leo wasn't there.

"No nachos please! My tongue is on fire!" I replied back, happy that I had finally said something in Spanish. "No Jalapeño!" I cried, attempting to just hug the water and bring my mouth to the rim of the container. Finally, I guess he decided to let go of the water, and you guessed it, the dish water came toppling onto my t-shirt, completely drenching my upper body and makeup with freezing cold water. My eyes were filled with soap and my vision became anything but clear.

The room burst into laughter.

I turned around in a complete circle, only able to see blurs of people walking about, eating, and staring at me all at once. Unable to see clear, I wobbled, and fell onto someone's table, knocking down a plate of fajitas and then what seemed to sound like a domino effect of forks and knives.

A rusty voice of a man responded to the clattering of food. "God damnit! Watch where you're going, you little slut!"

Slut? I glared down the converser, taking in his wide, blurry looking body seated at the table and frowned. "Excuse me?" I asked, suddenly feeling like my entire body was covered in habanera sauce.

The man stood up from his table, beer belly barely constrained from his pants. "I said, watch it, slut."

My hands clenched at my sides. Something clicked inside me, something that was only capable of being in motion unless someone else willed it to move, not myself. I had been like a beginning of a thunderstorm, calm, at peace, silent, and then I felt a dark force push against that peace, releasing a part of me I had never met, a part of me that I thought didn't exist.