Chapter Fifteen

*Charlotte's P.O.V.*

*Also, it has been a year since Charlotte left.*

"Charlotte, I need you to come home as quickly as you can. Something's happened and- just come home as soon as possible, okay?" Gatsby's voice was full of pain and sorrow. 

"I'll be there as fast as I can." I hung up the phone, quickly packing. Gatsby had already prepared a train ticket and a taxi for when I get there. 

The whole train ride my mind wondered. What had happened, who was hurt, when I would be there, anything and everything was running around in my mind. Harry told me he would come catch a train later tonight, so that didn't really bother me. The train came to a slow stop and I made my way off and into the taxi. 

As I pulled up, cars and people filled the drive way, making it hard to get up to the house. "Stop, just stop and I'll get out right here." The driver stopped, turning to talk to me, but I was gone before he could say anything. 

"Gatsby!" I sighed at the sight of him. He looked at me, his face as red as I had ever seen. His eyes shut tightly and he took a deep breath. "W-what's wrong?" Tears began to fill my eyes, scared of what he was going to tell me.

"Charlotte, it's, it's your father." He began to cry as he pulled me into a hug, holding me tightly. "Your father has passed away." My heart fell to the ground, as did I. Gatsby holding me with every movement. I yelled and screamed, not wanting to believe what I had just been told. 

"Where is he!" I screamed, getting out of his hold and running through the double doors, wishing I hadn't. 

He was surrounded by many of our friends and family members. His body laid lifeless on the ground and his skin was so much lighter. My heart broke even more when I had finally saw him. If I wouldn't have left him he'd still be here. He'd still be here to hug me and tell me he loved me.

"Please! Please don't leave me! I'm so sorry! Please!" I begged and pleaded hoping it would work. Hoping he would wake up and everything would be okay. But he didn't. His body just lying there. I couldn't stand to be in the house anymore so I ran outside. I tried catching my breath, but the crying made it worse. 

I finally caught the railing of the dock, my body trembling and my lungs not wanting to work right. I fell to the ground, crying more than I had ever cried before. I blamed myself. I wasn't here to be with him, to help him, to love him. He was gone and now I couldn't do anything about it. 

"Charlotte." I was taken into someone's arms, as they rocked me back and forth. "I'm so sorry. I wish I could bring him back, I do." Niall continued to rock me, his hand rubbing my back. "I couldn't bare to think about what you're feeling right now. It's my fault. If I hadn't pushed you to the edge, you wouldn't have left. You would have been here to say goodbye. It's all my fault, Charlotte. I'm so sorry." I felt a tear fall onto the top on my head, I stayed silent.

Soon I was lifted off of the ground being carried bridal style. I kept my head tucked into his neck as he continued to walk. 

"We're going to go somewhere okay?" He asked softly, but I continued not to talk. I was soon placed into his car, he started it up and drove away from the house.

"Niall, where are we going?" I asked monotone. 

"You need to be alone. You need time to think about all of this. It was thrown at you so suddenly and with everyone in the house, you're not going to be able to be alone. I'm taking you to an empty field. Somewhere you can scream and cry and curse at the world with no one to tell you to quiet down." 

He was right. I did need to be alone, and I sure wasn't going to get it sitting in that house with all those people. Yes my father died but, he's free. He doesn't have to live in this mess anymore. He's the lucky one. I miss him deeply. But, I was always the strong one. When my mother died, I stayed strong. I took care of him. What he would have wanted is for me to stay strong.

"You'll get through this. He'll always be watching you, guiding you in the right direction. You know that." Niall gave me a small half smile, took my hand, and squeezed it. Letting me know that he will be there for me. I gave a small smile back. 

"I know. He would have wanted me to be strong, but it hurts." Tears filled my eyes once again. Niall held my hand squeezing here and there. I was going to get through this. Even if I were all by myself, I would get through this. 

But I'm starting to think that I won't be able too.