Chapter Six

I sat and watched her for hours. She was absolutely stunning. Every now and then, she would glance back up at me but I'd hide as soon as she did. I was attracted to her in a way that wasn't right.  I needed to tell her that I was getting married in less than a month. But I couldn't bring myself to do it.  

My mother had finally gotten back from Philadelphia and she brought my soon-to-be wife with her. 

Eleanor Calder was her name. She was a very beautiful. But to me, Charlotte was gorgeous. Eleanor came from a rich family. But not a wealthy family. Her father was a contractor and built a lot of houses around the area. My father and her's did some business together a while back and from then on, we've been a couple. I loved Eleanor.

 But I wasn't in love with her. 

"Hello my lovely son!" My mother greeted me as she entered my room. I quickly removed myself from the window and met her halfway. 

"Its good to see your gorgeous face, yes?" I asked smiling. She nodded and dragged me down stairs like there was an emergency. She was always in a rush. No matter when or where.

 She lead me down the staircase and into the arms of Eleanor. Her hugs were always warming. But this time more of a different feeling. 

"It's good to see you, love." I whispered in her ear as she did that same to me. 

My father gave me a worried look, but I acted like I didn't see it. "We're having a party tonight." My father spoke up. "To give your mother and Eleanor a 'Welcome Home' gift." My father made his way to my mother and whispered something in her ear. 

"That would be wonderful darling." My mother looked up at my father like she was a child again. "I'll get to meet Nick's daughter?" My mother spoke to me.

"Uhm, I can see if she can make it, yes." I said with a fake smile. I didn't know how to exactly tell Charlotte that I had a Fiancee. 

Until I remembered the unwarming, truth that she had different feelings than I. 

_________

The party was was magnificent, as usual. My father had informed me that Mr. Carraway was sick, but Charlotte would indeed be here. 

I waited and waited. But she didn't come. 

I made my way out to th dock to be alone, like the other night.

And just like the other night, she met me out there.

"Why didn't you tell me?" How did she know? 

"I was going to I ju-" 

"No." She spat. "You should have told me. But then again, I should have known." She walked to the edge of the dock to stand next to me. "I wouldn't have been mad. Or upset." She was lying. "I mean, you aren't a bad looking young man, Niall. And by the days I spent with you, I know that what she has is indeed a gentleman." 

"The funny thing is, I don't even want to be with her anymore." I drifted off. "I don't think I want to go on with this wedding."

"Then don't do it." She began to walk away. "Don't do something you don't want to do. It will only lead to bad things." I was now left alone with the night sky.

I went over what she said for a while. Just standing there by myself. By now it was probably 2:30am. But, I wasn't ready to go back to the truth.

I was again interrupted by the feeling of a small hand on my shoulder. "Niall, I know you've been running around with her." Eleanor spoke in a low soft tone.

"I have no feeling for her. I was just showing her around. She said she hadn't been here since she was a young girl. So, I was being a gentleman."

"I know." She laughed, but I lied. "I was just coming to tell you I talked to her. She seems like a wonderful lady. You should get her and Louis Tomlison together. She seems like she fits him." I shook my head in agreement.

We both walked back up to the house together, when I spoke up. "I'll call Lou tomorrow, we'll all have lunch or something." I smiled.  She kissed my cheek and wondered to her room. I did the same and tried to get some sleep.

'She's just a friend, mate. You have an amazing beautiful woman who is madly in love with you.' I reminded myself.

Over.

And over.

And over again.