Chapter Eight

I sat and waited for something to happen. Something to change. But nothing ever did.

I was getting married in less than a couple of hours and yet, I was doubtfully in love with Charlotte. 

"You look so handsome in your tux, Mr. Gatsby." I heard the voice that made me weak. The voice that I could listen to all day, everyday, and it would never get old. 

Charlotte.

"Why thank you, my love." I say nodding and taking her hand, kissing it softly.

She smiled a smile that was unique. A smile that you would only see four or five times in your life. I had only seen two of the smiles in my lifetime. Her's and my father's.

"I see you have a lot of family and friends, yeah?" She asked walking towards the window and looking down at the crowd of people, who I barely knew.

"You see that woman right there?" I asked pointing to a older woman. 

"Yes." She says shaking her head.

"Well that, my dear, is Miss Caroline Flack. She's known for her affairs with Harry Styles. They say he's seeing her again but, I wouldn't know." 

"Why, she's beautiful." She says staring harder than she should have.

"Ha, why yes, she is."

"Why did you tell me that, Niall?" She turned around to face me. Our bodies almost touching.

"I just.. wanted to give you a piece of information." I shrugged my shoulders and walked back over to my bed, finishing up.

"Oh, I see." I let a sigh escape my mouth and she made her way towards me. "Well, I think I'll make my way to the courtyard and find myself a seat. Good luck Mr. Gatsby. She's a very, very, lucky girl." And with that, she left the room and I was alone, once again.

*****

"I do." 

I was no longer a single man. I had said 'I do' and that was the end of it. 

I watched as everyone told Eleanor and I congratulations and wished us the best. I watched as everyone danced and drank. This wedding wasn't even much of a wedding at all. It was more of a party. 

My father came up behind me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Its time to say goodbye.." He whispered in my ear. I thought about what he was talking about for a moment and figured it was time to lave for the honeymoon.

"Well, I thought we would stay for a little longer, then say goodbye." My father looked at me with confusion.

"I'm talking about saying goodbye to Miss Charlotte, Old Sport." My eyes widened. I then, realized what he was talking about. "She's leaving to go back to Chicago, Niall."

"She's what?!" I was shocked at my father's words. 

"You're a married man now, Old Sport." We walked to the Library to have more of a private discussion. "You know, I did that same thing you did right before I wed."

"Do you mea-" He cut me off.

"Indeed. Right before your mother and I got married, I was seeing Daisy again. Tom was back to his old tricks and I, well I was just caught up in her beauty." I was stunned at what my father was telling me. I had heard many things about Daisy Buchanan. I had heard about what she had done to my father. She just left him. Waiting. 

"I.. she.. I just feel different about Charlotte. It's like she's my rock. My guilty pleasure." I starred down at her from the library window. Her hair was put up just enough to be out of her face. She had made acquaintance with the Liam Payne and Zayn Malik. She looked very comfortable around them. 

Like she belonged.

"Look here, Old Sport. I'm not telling you what to do. You're a grown man, you do what you please. Just be careful in your decisions." I nodded and stayed where I was. I watched as the three laughed and joked. She looked around and then up. I gave a warming smile and made a gesture for her to some up.

She shook Zayn and Liam's hand and within a few moments, we were face to face. Inches away from each other.

"You rang, sir?" I laughed as she danced to the sound of the music seeping through the walls of the room.

"Are you drunk, Miss Charlotte?" I asked. A smile creeping on my lips.

She came as close as she could. Our lips barely touching. "Do you want me to be?" She giggled. "I'm kidding." She backed away. "I'm just having a little fun. But, I'm no where near drunk." 

"Charlotte?" I asked. 

"Don't talk." She lowered her head. "I'm going back to Chicago tonight. You can't stop me. My father has already tried." A tear escaped her eye. "I fell into something that I knew shouldn't have."

"What's that?" My hand found her cheek, and I held it in my hand.

"Love." My heart sunk deeper than an anchor of a ship.

"Char-"

"I should get going." She started wiping the tears away from her eyes as she made her way towards the door, before turning away one last time. "I wish you the best, Niall. Make sure to write, yes?" She smiled a fake smile.

"Of course." She nodded and walked out the door. 

I watched as she said goodbye's to everyone. I watched as she hugged my father, as he whispered something in her ear, that I wished I could have heard. She smiled and he kissed her forehead. 

'I fell in love too..' I said to myself as I watched her shadow fade. 

I knew she was gone, and I knew she wouldn't be back.