Prince Merlin

It was a beautiful day in Ethryll the royal family was having a picnic in a clearing in the forest. Many other families came as well. The royal prince Merlin, only five at the time, ran around playing with the other children. They ran around giggling and screaming as they tumbled and rolled in a friendly game of tag. The royal blanket was empty. The queen was chatting with a group of women as they kept an eye on their children. The king himself was playing a game of cards with his servants. If it weren't for the king and queens crowns you wouldn't have known there was royalty even present. Their clothes were modest and they wore nothing to flashy or expensive. It was Sunday, a day of peace throughout the kingdom. It happened every week where the royals would hold a picnic free for anyone to join, or a party in the castle, or a festival in the streets. Laughter was filled in the air as the citizens socialized and their children raced through the meadow. Every once in a while the queen would take her leave and approach the next group of women with a smile and ask to join in. The older children, in their teens, would tease the youngers using smoke from the fires to create monsters to chase the children. They would squeal and cower in fear until a brave child would touch the beast and it would dissipate. Young adults would flirt across the meadow casting spells to make flowers grow or send a love letter through the air. It was rare to see anyone unhappy during these times.

As the sun set and the children grew tired they would crawl into their mothers lap and dream the night away. Then an unofficial competition of who could make the best spectacle. Spells flew to the sky's and beautiful colors would light up the night. Oohs and Ahs filled the meadow until late into the night. One by one each family left, packing their belonging and bidding good night to the royals. The royal family would wait being the last to leave making sure everyone got home safe. Then they would pack up there belongings with the help of a few servants and carried there sleeping child to the castle where they fell into a happy sleep.

Other days in Ethryll were filled with hard work. Every person in the kingdom, no matter race, gender, or social rank, was taught how to fight. Few went very far into their training and those who did became part of Ethryll's protectors. The royal family believed that everyone should be given the freedom to defend themselves. Magic flourished in the kingdom accompanied with rules of course. Using magic for mind control, murder, and/or pain of others was strictly outlawed. In the castle there was a huge round table where meetings were held. As Merlin grew older he began to understand how the kingdom was run he occasionally followed his father around observing and taking mental notes. However, Merlin had his own opinion on many things, that his father didn't agree with. Which was often the topic of many family dinners where they would debate and express their opinions, always in a civilized manner. The king never lost his temper with his son and Merlin tried to not lose his temper either. Even if they did argue, they wouldn't stay mad for long.

For instance, Merlin hated sword fighting. If he had his way he would have never picked up a sword. However, his father and mother forced him to train until he was fairly good, trying to explain to the young warlock that it was a necessary skill to be king. Merlin didn't mind hand to hand combat or archery, for he saw reason in these aspects, and flourished much in those areas. Merlin also had a knack for sneaking around. When he was growing up, he could be spotted on occasion scaling the castle walls just because he could. He was friends with many of the children within the kingdom. When the children were dismissed to play from their mothers they would race out and parade through the streets playing games of capture the flag or kick the can or tag. As they grew up, some began to have a knack for magic, showing off to the other children their smoke dragons or glowing butterflies. It was dangerous to be a servant in the castle during those innocent times as the children were always racing up and down the halls chasing each other and hiding in the weirdest places.

All to soon Merlin realized his responsibilities and couldn't go out to play that often. Neither could his friends as they were beginning to take up jobs themselves as apprentices and servants some even started training to become knights. Merlin began to attend more and more round table meetings and train a little longer at the urging of his parents. He read books and discussed responsibilities with his father, asking questions. But he still had his Sundays where he was now the ones chasing the younger children with smoke monsters as him and his friends sat on a blanket enjoying the time of peace. Yet he was still young, even though he understood much, he knew he still had a lot to learn.