5

"CHILDREN, this is so funny. You have to see this."

Bella's eyes slowly opened to Mommy's bony figure wheeling a clunky television in through the door. Mommy was laughing maniacally under frantic breaths as she turned the television on. The white, static-screen and the crackling noise paired with it made the three of them jump awake in fear.

Bella's eyes were tired; she felt so drowsy and dehydrated. Her throat was intensely arid, her stomach turned and rumbled loudly, and her head ached with every slight movement she made. Thankfully, her skin had cooled down a significant amount, and she felt as if she could finally breathe.

Mommy flicked the light bulb off, and they all stared at the blank television screen with tired eyes.

"I recorded it for you guys," Mommy exclaimed with eerie excitement in her tone.

Mommy then slipped a VHS tape into the player, and the screen crackled until a news report came onto the screen. A man with slicked, salt-and-pepper hair was seated at a glass table, his fingers threaded together in a professional manner as he stared at the screen.

"The search is on for sixteen-year-old Cole Mancini, fourteen-year-old Isabella Bryers, and seven-year-old Elliot Greene. It is believed by law enforcement that all three children have been kidnapped by the same suspect, as they went missing around the same time. All three were last seen walking to their schools January 12th, it is now the 14th and still no updates on where they may be."

It has already been that long? Two days? Bella couldn't believe her ears - she felt like it had only been a few hours.

"Here we have a message from each of their families," the reporter continued, "as they plead for their children to be brought back. If anybody has any information on where these children may be, or if they are seen anywhere, please call this number immediately."

A large white number flashed on the screen, and Bella stared at Mommy as she watched the screen with a terrifying grin on her face.

A petite woman was shown standing in front of the camera. Bella instantly connected that she had to have been Cole's mother - she had midnight black hair, the same thick and dark eyebrows which framed her eyes in a flattering manner, the same angular jaw shape and tan pigmented skin.

Beside the mother was a man who she assumed was Cole's father - he, too, had a dark head of hair, though it was clearly thinning around the top. He had a round belly, similar thick eyebrows except they were messier and even thicker, and a dark mustache above his lips.

"Please," Cole's mother pleaded on the screen, and Bella looked over to find Cole's eyes locked on the ground. "Please give my son back to me."

The Italian accent was so intense, Bella could barely understand what she was saying.

"I am so upset from the kidnapping of my son Cole Mancini. I will offer big reward for anybody who bring Cole back to me. Please. I am begging. Cole, I love you. Please come home to me. I will give money, as much money as wanted. Thank you."

Cole's mother's hand flew up to cover her mouth as she sobbed ruthlessly into her small palms. His father was shown comforting his mother by rubbing her small shoulder.

Bella looked over at Cole with sympathy in her eyes. She could tell he was bothered, because a muscle ticked angrily in his jaw and he gnawed on the inside of his cheek. His dark hair was falling into his eyes and sticking to his face. His light eyes were filled to the brim with glistening tears, and Bella noticed a tear slide from his eye, only one, right down the slope of his cheek.

"Why are you doing this to us?" Bella asked Mommy so suddenly, she didn't even register that it was herself who spoke for a quick moment.

Mommy's beady eyes looked over to her, and Bella's lungs deflated. How could she be so stupid to say something?

"What do you mean, you filthy slut?" Mommy asked, pressing pause on the VHS player just as Bella's father was displayed on the screen.

Bella's heart shattered at her father's appearance - the dark under-eye circles weighing his eyes down, his swollen nose and flushed cheeks. She tried not to remember what his smile looked like, and instead, focused on her rapid heartbeat and determination to get back to her father.

Bella bit down on her lip, trying to maintain a strong demeanor. "I said, why are you doing this?"

Mommy smiled a little bit. "I think it is very funny how these people think you are their children. Your father wants to make sure I do not keep you guys, so he is hiring these ridiculous people to pretend you are theirs. It is disgusting."

Bella glanced at her father on the screen, which was a dangerous move. She was too angry to think about how this outburst could affect her survival, and looking at her father only fed her rage. She then swallowed and allowed her absentminded anger to take over.

"We are not your children!" Bella screamed, her chest thriving with pure frustration. "We don't even look alike, or look like you! You are delusional, you're drunk, you're high, and you're psychotic. Just take kids that look like you at least, and let us go!"

Elliot was staring up at Bella, and Cole was staring at her too, his light eyes wide and bloodshot. The long scar across his cheek was accentuated by the dark blue illumination of the television screen.

"You," Mommy cackled, standing to her feet and stepping slowly towards Bella. "You... you are nothing but a fucking bitch!" Mommy screeched, grabbing Bella by her hair.

Bella squealed in shock, and Elliot started whining as he moved away from the two of them and ran over to Cole.

Mommy shoved her against the wall, her forearm pressed against Bella's collarbones as she pulled the pocket knife out of the back pocket of her loose jeans. Bella did all she could to suppress her natural reaction of fear as she stared back at the blade of the small knife.

Cole was breathing heavily, watching Bella in worry as he tried to jolt his arms away from the ropes that restricted them. "Bella!" he said loudly, but Bella could barely hear him over the sound of Mommy's taunting voice in her ear.

"Since you like being such an ugly little slut so much," Mommy casually spoke, as she pierced the knife through Bella's damp blouse. She dragged a straight line down the center of Bella's torso, barely touching her flesh, as the clothing opened and slipped off Bella's shoulders. Bella's face heated as she stood there in her small undershirt only.

She watched Cole instantly look away from her, and she was grateful.

Mommy slipped the knife through the fabric of Bella's pants, and Bella yelped as the knife cut her skin, blood instantly soaking the pants as they fell to her ankles as well. She stood there, exposed, as she watched Mommy with shaky breath.

"You bitch," Mommy said, glaring down at Bella with fiery hatred in her black eyes. "You little fucking bitch. I have never liked you. You always thought you were better than me. Flaunting your little body around like a prostitute," Mommy snapped Bella's bra strap and laughed.

Bella swallowed and watched Mommy quietly, her teeth gritting together.

"Well here you go, little girl. Now, I saved you a little effort. Your clothes are off and they can stay off. Ugly, ugly girl," Mommy spoke with revulsion. "Your brothers are disgusted with you, and so am I."

Mommy closed the switchblade and put the weapon back into her pocket. She walked back over to the large television and pressed play on the VHS player, while Bella slipped back down to the floor.

"Ungrateful little witch," Mommy said again, her small eyes watching Bella. Her tiny eyes looked over to Cole and Elliot who were slumped against the wall. "Enjoy the funny video, my sweet boys. I'll be back soon to check on you guys."

Bella heard the door slam shut, and Mommy was gone. She stared down at the large wound that sliced the flesh on her bare leg, watching with bleary vision as a tear slid down her nose and hit the lesion, distorting a small drop of blood.

She stood against the wall dressed in only a small tank top and her underwear. Goosebumps were rising on her flesh as the cold air of the basement continued to gnaw at her.

"Bella," she heard Cole's raspy and concerned voice, but she couldn't bring herself to look at him.

Instead, she sniffled and cried as she listened to her father's sad and rocky voice beg for her return on the screen.