First Jumper

"Name." he states.

"Rose," I answer.

"Last?" he says, curiously.

"Do I need to tell you?" I lift an eyebrow, staring him down.

"No, but I'm curious." he beams, trying to remember where he has seen me.

"Coulter," I grunt, not wanting to tell me who I really am.

"What?" he says, clearing having difficulty catching what I said.

I clear my throat, "Coulter."

"Really?" he says appalled by who I am.

"Really." I give him a sarcastic smile.

"Eric's sister?" he asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Exactly," I respond, giving him a real smile. "What's yours?"

"Four." he smirks, at my snarky comments.

"Interesting." I smile, that couldn't be his true name.

"First jumper, Rose!" his voice echoes through the chamber.

"Good job, Rose!" someone shouts.

I smile, then I hear someone yelling and see a blur of black and white falling from the hole. It was Ace! I walk over and wait for him.

"Woah." he says as he walks over. "Did you actually do it backward?"

I laugh, "Surprised?"

Finally everyone has jumped and is crowded together. I feel someone's hand on my shoulder, I turn to see Four.

"Welcome to Dauntless." he smiles.

I smile back.

I look around and see a girl with dark hair and three piercings along her eyebrows, I hear people call her Lauren.

"Four, stop flirting with the poor girl!" I hear Lauren laugh, making me blush.

He rolls his eyes, his smile disappears and walks towards the front of the sixteen year olds.

"Follow me and Lauren." he says in his deep voice.

They lead us down a narrow shaft, every few feet a lamp lit the way. The tunnel continued to get narrower the deeper we went, until people couldn't fit side to side. When we finally reach the end we are all able to gather around behind Lauren and Four.

"This is where we split," Lauren smiles. "Dauntless-born come with me, I'm guessing you don't need a tour."

The Dauntless-born follow Lauren, leaving only nine of us. Four Erudite, four Candor, and one Amity girl. Me, the Amity and one Candor are the only girls, out of all transfers.

Four zeroed in on us. "I'm Four, incase you didn't already know. I work mostly in the control room, but for the next few weeks I am going to be your instructor here at Dauntless."

"Wait, like the number?" the Amity girls asks in a small voice.

"Yes, is that a problem?" Four glares.

"No." she says.

"Good. Now we are about to go to the Pit, which you will someday learn to love-"

"The Pit?" a Candor boy chuckles.

Four slowly walks towards him, leaning his face close.

"What is your name?" Four says in a whisper.

"Zayne." he says leaning away from Four.

"Well Zayne, if I wanted to deal with smart mouthed Candors, I would've joined them." Four says. "First thing you learn from me is to keep your mouth shut. Understand?"

He nods his head and I laugh.

Four turns to me, and I try my best to hide my smile.

"Is something funny initiate?" he scolds.

"No." seriousness floods my face.

He turns and leads to the place he calls 'the Pit.' Now I know why.

Four pushes the double doors open and we walk inside. Pit was an excellent word for it. It was an underground cave, the walls were made from jagged rocks and the ceiling was made from glass, letting the orange sunset shine through. People fill the Pit, they shout and talk to each other, all are dressed in black, the factions color. Slender paths lead different ways, connecting to one another.

"If you follow me," Four says peeking over his shoulder. "I'll show you the chasm."

    I study his stance, stiff and his muscles taut. He doesn't seem like the computer type, he seems more like the physical type. As he walks on, I notice a tattoo peeking out from the back of his neck. I had so many questions about him, he was so mysterious. The deeper we go inside, the darker it gets. Since I'm in the front of the group, I bump into Four when he unexpectedly stops.

    "Sorry." I say taking a step back.

    He turns around, and I wait to be jumped on. But he just stands there like nothing happened. I hear the roar of water as I walk towards the outline of a railing, I look over and see white, rushing water. I look upstream and see calmer water.

    "The chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy," Four shouts. "A daredevil jump off this ledge will end your life. It has happened before, it will again. You have been warned."

    People have jumped off before? I know becoming factionless was bad, but killing yourself? That was just awful.

    "That sounded rehearsed." I laugh to Four.

"It was." he laughs back.

"How old are you Four?" I ask.

"Why?" he says, his smile disappearing.

"I just want to know, I mean I told you my last name." I say, shrugging.

"Eighteen." he says, walking away.